Installing window on a reformated hd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help

I have a hd That I reformatted in fat32. When I put it into a cpu unit and boot the cpu doesn't regognize the drive. I get an error that say insert boot disk. When I insert the xp install disk I can't get it to boot from the cd. Is there somthing in the bios I need to change or would I be able to put the hd in another cpu and copy files from a working hd to the formatted hd that would make it at least boot so I can install xp. Or is it possible to install xp on a slave drive without messing up the master drive?

Hope I made sense of all this.

you need to check in your bios what your boot order is. You will have to set the CD rom as first boot device if you want to boot from it to installl windows.

I can get into the bios just fine, but I havn't seen a boot order I'm probably not looking int he right spot. What heading would the boot order be?

I got it thank's for all the help. Installing xp ask we speak (or type)

Is it best to change the boot order back after the install or just leave it the same?

I leave mine as CD Rom 1st boot device, Hard drive 2nd Boot device and floppy as 3Rd boot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back