Installing Windows 10 from a USB stick - no luck

dannyodare

Hi,

Just tried installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from a USB stick (Patriot Supersomic Rage 32GB) - but no luck. Yes, I altered the 'boot priority' settings but that does not appear to have helped. I currently have a dual-boot setup, with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP Home 32-bit. Fairly obviously, I want to scrub the ancient copy of XP and replace it with Windows 10. I used Rufus software to 'burn' Windows 10 to the USB stick, seemed which to go absolutely fine.

Yes, true, my motherboard and chip are a bit old too - Intel Core2 Duo E6750 with an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard and 4GB of RAM (ie, Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance 800mhz). Any ideas?

Thanks,
DANNY

Are you even sure that machine will run 10??
Check ms site to see if it meets the minimums. Also keep in mind it might not meet the specs after 10 opdates to newer specs in the future leaving a system that won't boot anymore.

I guess some of the Core2 Duo chips are not good for 64bit upgrade. Certainly worth a check. http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=20768&canMyCpuRunIt=Windows 10 indicates that the chip meets 'minimum' requirements for Windows 10 - maybe that means that it is 'ok' if just 32 bit.

I think the tough part is figuring out how to do a clean install in a partition which will support dual boot - and I am not a 'software guy', so it is a mystery to me.

64 bit is going to require a lot more resources but Windows 10 32 bit should run on that computer. I have W10 32 bit on a netbook and also on a Core 2 duo 2.67 GHz desktop with 3Gb ram.

Your plan to get rid of XP and keep the Windows 7 installation doesn't seem good to me. In your place I'd install Windows 10 (32 bit) and then install Windows XP as a virtual OS. W7 won't offer any advantages over W10 so retain XP for running any old software that isn't compatible with more recent versions of Windows. I don't know if you can have the free Microsoft upgrade from W7 64 bit to W10 32 bit.

64 bit is going to require a lot more resources but Windows 10 32 bit should run on that computer. I have W10 32 bit on a netbook and also on a Core 2 duo 2.67 GHz desktop with 3Gb ram.

Your plan to get rid of XP and keep the Windows 7 installation doesn't seem good to me. In your place I'd install Windows 10 (32 bit) and then install Windows XP as a virtual OS. W7 won't offer any advantages over W10 so retain XP for running any old software that isn't compatible with more recent versions of Windows. I don't know if you can have the free Microsoft upgrade from W7 64 bit to W10 32 bit.

apologies @dannyodare if I change direction a bit..

@bazz2004

I'm dealing with similar - except it is a Turion dual core in an HP Pavilion and I was delighted when it let me upgrade from Win7 32 bit to Win10 64 bit (my son, the IT guy [yes, he really is]) decided 32 bit was better when we upgraded from Vista 64bit, but now I have all 4GB RAM again. So a virtual XP OS would be terrific (especially for playing some of the older games) and better than dual boot.

How do you do that?

There are a number of programs that you can use but the one I have is VMWare Player (free). Basically you install it as a program in Windows 10. That provides the framework within which you can install other OSs like XP. VMWare Player provides a virtual PC environment so you don't have the driver problems preventing an XP install on current hardware. Windows 10 is not directly where you are installing the OSs. You install XP as you would do normally which will incidentally take one heck of a long time to SP3 and beyond. What is really good is that if something goes wrong within the virtual OS that won't effect your Host OS - Windows 10. I have this arrangement on my W10 desktop because there are several old pieces of software installed within XP that we need to have available for occasional use.

Back