Installing Windows 7 on blank hard drive, WimFsh.sys error

I've got an HP G60-530US laptop that completely crashed from malware/viruses. I was pretty sure the computer had a failing hard drive and I bought a WD Scorpio Black (320GB, 7200 RPM, model no. WD3200BEKT) to replace the original one with. I've got a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit install disk and it loads everything... but after a few seconds when the Windows loading screen comes up a BSOD comes up.

So the computer turns on in this order: HP Splash Screen, Black "Windows Loading Files" screen with status bar, Windows 7 starting up screen (with W7 logo that comes together from the 4 flying lights), then BSOD with following info:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

WimFsf.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*Windows Jibberish*

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF8A07E7BEEE0, 0X0000000000000001, 0XFFFFF88001BDCE39, 0X0000000000000005)

*** WimFsf.sys - Address FFFFF88001BDCE39 base at FFFFF88001BD8000, DateStamp 4a5bc362"

This hard drive is blank and I have no way of accessing a UI of any sort. Help?

"Windows IMage File System Mini-filter" equals WimFsh.sys

This may be a memory fault. Try swapping memory

I don't have any extra DDR2 memory laying around (my other computer uses DDR3), or else I would try that. I did a Run-In Test from HP's System Diagnostics and the memory passed the test? Would I need to run a more thorough test? If so, how would do so?

To be clear, this is a new install of Windows 7 on the new hard drive and with the old hard drive you got the same errors after the malware infection was cleared? Did you do a format before you tried installing W7 on the new hard drive? Is your copy of the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit install disk official?

Well the affected laptop belongs to my deceased fiance's family and I'm fixing it for them. I thought I cleared all the malware from the laptop once before but it crashed on the family a few months ago.

Yes, I'm trying to install Windows 7 onto the new hard drive. I haven't formatted the hard drive yet, I'm not sure how to do this as I've never had to replace a hard drive before. The laptop came with an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, but didn't come with any disks so I've borrowed a copy (of the exact same OS it originally had) that I'm trying to install with.

After doing various HP diagnostic tests (HDD and RAM checked fine) I tried to install Windows once again. This time, during the "Windows loading files" screen, a new window came up.

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

*Windows Jibberish*

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured"

Fixed.

I'm pretty sure the HDD is hooked up properly, and so far the CD drive has read everything correctly and without hiccups. I'm not sure what this could be..

Back