Installing Windows 7 over Windows 8

By peterbilt12
Feb 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey im looking at buying a new laptop as the one im using now is my mums and I want my own but the one im looking at has windows 8 on it and I always loved using windows 7 so im just wonding if I brought a windows 7 disc and installed it would that would or reinstalling windows 7 on a windows 8 system wouldn't work
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,287   +225

Should work. When Vista came out and people were displeased, a lot of people tried to put XP on them. Many ran into a lot of driver issues, so before you do this, I would strongly urge you to check into the availability of Windows 7 drivers.

I don't think the 8->7 downgrade will carry near (any?) of the driver issues like we saw with Vista -> XP, but it is better to just spend a few minutes checking than it is hours of searching the web for similar problems when you have a laptop that certain things aren't working right on.
  3. peterbilt12

peterbilt12 TechSpot Member Topic Starter

Thanks for your help SNGX1275 I check the laptop when I buy it but the model im after they dont sell them in Australia so I gotta buy one offline in the USA but from what I hear it is a great laptop
  4. bazz2004

bazz2004 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 276   +16

I'd be inclined to buy it and give Windows 8 a trial. Install a Start button with freeware like Classic Shell from the off. If you don't like Windows 8 I reckon Windows 7 should install OK but as mentioned it pays to be careful. I'm running both OS's on the same computer with two hard drives.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.