TechSpot

Installing Windows Hard Drive SCSI

By spartanslayer
Nov 22, 2005
  1. I am about to build my own PC. It will have a Maxtor Sata hard drive. When you are installing Windows XP Pro, do you have to press F6 and install a third-party driver? I was reading this book, and the guy said to do that. I have never heard about that before. Can you just hit install XP and let it do everything? Thanks.

2. kraugie

kraugie TS Rookie Posts: 19

Yes you need to hit F6 to install a RAID driver. You will be able to get that driver from the motherboard manufacturers website in most cases. The resulting RAID driver that you get will need to be on a floppy, so if you were planning on not putting a floppy in the computer you were building (like many do), you will have to at least have a floppy during the setup process of Windows. Sorry, theres no magic "hit install XP and let it do everything"

3. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 394

Thanks. I wasn't planning on installing a RAID system though. I just want one drive.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,949   +355

You install the SATA RAID drivers even if you don't plan to set up a RAID array. I just have one SATA hard drive as my only hard drive.

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 394

Thanks, also, does a PCI Express x1 on a motherboard work as a normal PCI slot? My motherboard comes with 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 2 PCI Express x1 slots, and 3 PCI slots. Do the PCI Express x1 slots work with any PCI card? Thanks.

6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

I am using an SATA maxtor drive and did not install the raid drivers. Not needed if you are not using a RAID setup.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.