TechSpot

Installing Windows Hard Drive SCSI

By spartanslayer
Nov 22, 2005
  1. I am about to build my own PC. It will have a Maxtor Sata hard drive. When you are installing Windows XP Pro, do you have to press F6 and install a third-party driver? I was reading this book, and the guy said to do that. I have never heard about that before. Can you just hit install XP and let it do everything? Thanks.

2. kraugie

kraugie TS Rookie Posts: 28

Yes you need to hit F6 to install a RAID driver. You will be able to get that driver from the motherboard manufacturers website in most cases. The resulting RAID driver that you get will need to be on a floppy, so if you were planning on not putting a floppy in the computer you were building (like many do), you will have to at least have a floppy during the setup process of Windows. Sorry, theres no magic "hit install XP and let it do everything"

3. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 464

Thanks. I wasn't planning on installing a RAID system though. I just want one drive.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

You install the SATA RAID drivers even if you don't plan to set up a RAID array. I just have one SATA hard drive as my only hard drive.

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 464

Thanks, also, does a PCI Express x1 on a motherboard work as a normal PCI slot? My motherboard comes with 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 2 PCI Express x1 slots, and 3 PCI slots. Do the PCI Express x1 slots work with any PCI card? Thanks.

6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

I am using an SATA maxtor drive and did not install the raid drivers. Not needed if you are not using a RAID setup.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.