Installing windows on a brand new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all i recently purchased all the parts for a new computer and put it together myself, although i knew i would have trouble installing windows, which infact i do.

So my question is that my computer is brand new never had an operation system on it before, ive looked around and read that you need to make sure in your BIOS that you make sure that your CD-ROM starts up first then the windows CD should boot, well ive done this, and when i go to exit the bios my computer will restart naturally, and i press F1 to continue past the BIOS setup screen, which is what i assume you do to get windows to start its setup, but when i press F1 it will come up with a message that follows "Disc Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and press enter"
im installing Windows 200 pro cause i accidentally bought the XP upgrade package and not the XP stand alone box, so i have to install 2000 first then upgrade to Xp with the disc i bought

i really have no idea what to do for installing windows in general, so if someone could perhaps give me a detailed step by step guideline to follow it would be much appreciated.
Could it be perhaps something about formating your harddrive with NTSF or something like that, but again a detailed Step by step guideline including this step if applicable would be greatly appreciated

You don't have to install Windows 2000 first to upgrade to Windows XP. During the installation of XP (upgrade version) you should be asked to place your "qualifying" Windows CD in the drive tray to prove you have it. Once that's done you should be able to continue with the XP installation.

Also, when you exit the BIOS after making changes, make sure you are Saving and exiting. You probably did but it wasn't clear to me from your post.

Yeah, In BIOS find out the option to boot from CD-ROM/DVD and make sure that you save it and then exit the BIOS. Because you are pressing F1 key to go past the BIOS, that means your BIOS settings are not being saved, maybe because of the poor battery on the motherboard. Normally once you have saved settinngs in the BIOS, you should not get the option of pressing F1 to go past the BIOS.

Keep us updated about it, if you can please.

Cheers mate. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back