Installing Windows XP using an external drive?

Is this possible? I have a few things I'd like to do using my external, if possible.

Can I create a partition on my external, format it, and create a Windows XP bootable file system? My DVD-RAM crapped out about two months ago, give or take a week or two, and really need to reformat and throw a different copy of XP on my Acer instead of this hacked all to hell version I have on it. Apparently, my laptops do not like uber-hacked OS systems.

I also need to update the BIOS on a Dell Latitude CPi D300XT, but do not have a floppy drive. I've found tutorials on how to do it from a CD, and from a flash drive, but would it be possible to create a partition on my external and do it that way? I do not have a flash drive, nor do I have a way to burn a BIOS disk to flash that way.

Easiest thing to do, that I can suggest, is buy an external CD drive as well as a floppy drive.. Flashing from a floppy is generally safer and recommended from most Motherboard manufacturing companies.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: It is possible I'm sure to install windows off an image already on the computer, but you would need something to extract the image and run it to install it onto an external.

Hi,

I agree with computerguy55 the easiest thing here is to purchase an external CD/DVD drive to install windows. Yes you can install windows from an Image on a disk drive you could - for example - create an ISO image of the OS and perhaps using Demon Tools mount the image and run the disc to install the OS onto an external drive.

There are ways of burning ISO or other image files onto external drives/ flash drive as opposed to a disc and provided, as fiftythebe said, there is a bootable / formatted partition on the drive then YES you should be able to install an OS from it.

You will need to change the settings in the BIOS so boot from external USB device pref as first boot device to start with which you can change after the OS has installed.

Hope this helps
James

Back