TechSpot

Installing WINXP SP2 via second hard drive partition (d:)

By Abe85
Oct 29, 2006
  1. hey folks,

I'm trying to install Windows XP SP2 on a laptop that DOES NOT have a floppy drive - (only CD/DVD drive)... the problem is, whenever I use the system restore cd OR the windows XP sp2 install cd, during the middle of the install process some files cannot copy over (I get error copying file messages) - I have re-tried using both discs many, many times and everytime a file cannot copy to the hard disk (it's always different files, not the same - both CD's are fine, i've used them before).

So, I figured I'd create a 3-gig D: partition, format the C:, then copy over the I386 to install windows via the hard disk. I put in a Windows ME boot-to-DOS disc w/cd-rom support and loaded smart-drive, then ran "winnt" via C:\I386 (for some reason the D: partition had a bunch of DOS files on it, so the D: partition became the C:, even though I created/formatted the partitions correctly using the Windows Recovery Console.

MY PROBLEM: Winnt.exe will run fine at first, it will start loading files, then I get to a screen that says "Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard disk", and NOTHING HAPPENS. the gray bar at the bottom is blank. Did I do something wrong?? Help!

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

And you went through all of this to install SP2?

EDIT:
    How long did you wait until you gave up?

3. Abe85

Abe85 TS Rookie Topic Starter

NEVERMIND FOLKS. it came up - just took a while. Apparently I am an impatient little jibby

4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

So are most people, I guess.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

It should have never given you "error copying" messages. It may have finally installed, but there's something wrong and it may reveal itself in the future.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.