Installing XP onto new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a new internal Toshiba HD and have tried to install XP, and I get the following message:

" Please insert your Windows NT 3.51 Workstation, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium CD into your CD-ROM drive.

All I have is the XP CD-Rom that I bought at Best Buy. Is there a way I can this O/S onto my sustem?

Are you talking laptop?
If so do a 'search' on the forums, someone recently had a similar issue with toshiba and sorted it.
If desktop, you may need to set something in your BIOS, or even do a BIOS upgrade.

IronDuke said:
Looks like it is an "upgrade" version of XP and it is checking for your original OS.
That was my thought as well. It basically means you bought an upgrade CD to upgrade from a previous OS, but if you are installing it on a new HDD, with no OS currently, it wants to verify that you have a previous version to upgrade from. Just borrow a disc from a friend or neighbor. Once you put it in and it verifies that it is legit you should be all good.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back