Installing XP onto new HD

By reddin9
Jun 10, 2005
  1. I have purchased a new internal Toshiba HD and have tried to install XP, and I get the following message:

" Please insert your Windows NT 3.51 Workstation, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium CD into your CD-ROM drive.

All I have is the XP CD-Rom that I bought at Best Buy. Is there a way I can this O/S onto my sustem?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Are you talking laptop?
    If so do a 'search' on the forums, someone recently had a similar issue with toshiba and sorted it.
    If desktop, you may need to set something in your BIOS, or even do a BIOS upgrade.
  3. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Looks like it is an "upgrade" version of XP and it is checking for your original OS.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

That was my thought as well. It basically means you bought an upgrade CD to upgrade from a previous OS, but if you are installing it on a new HDD, with no OS currently, it wants to verify that you have a previous version to upgrade from. Just borrow a disc from a friend or neighbor. Once you put it in and it verifies that it is legit you should be all good.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.