Installing XP onto SATA Drive With PCI Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am a newcomer here, and I have been searching for answers to my Raid problem, but can not find any related answers here, nor in other Forums that I have been searching.
In short I am now knocking on doors on people who appear to have knowledge with Raid questions, and you are one of them.
So here I go, I am trying to install a 80 Gig Seagate SATA drive as boot single drive. My Motherboard MSI 6570K7N2G has no SATA connectors, so I installed a PCI SATA - IDE Combo Controller Card Promise Fast Track 376. SATA 150
The drivers for this card are installed and recognized in Device Manager
Seagate Disk Utility can see the drive gives the ok, now comes the problem if I give the Fast Track Utility a assignment like 1+0 Stripe Windows that is XP Pro SP3 can see the drive in My Computer and Disk Management as Basic, Active, Online, and Healthy.
But I can not install XP onto that drive, I have the drivers unzipped on a Floppy pressing F6 then after loading some drivers S to install the Raid off the Floppy all this runs smoothly but then when Windows gets ready to install it will tell me Windows can not detect any hard drive. If I do the same without setting a Raid assignment Windows will not see the drive at all and the result is the same.
I have been told that I should be setting up a 1+0 Single Drive Array, but I can not do it all I can do is Stripe or Mirror for Performance, for the live of me I can not change that setting to single disk.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards

u have to have 2 or more drives to set up a RAID array, sounds to me u need a new mother board with SATA slots.

thanks for responding nickc, no you can setup a single SATA drive with a SATA PCI controller without having a mobo with SATA connectors.
It was very frustrating to do, but it is working fine now.
brentano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back