Installing XP over Vista help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell computer that has no floppy drive or CD burner. I have all my pictures backed up on Photobucket.

However, I have a money program that I bought and downloaded. I have lost the email that had the product key. So, I may be SOL on that one.

Is there a way to install XP over Vista without loosing everything on my computer?

Any advise on this matter would be grateful!!!

What's wrong with your currently installed Operating System? (Vista I think)

I'd say purchase a DVD Drive (even an external one), they're pretty cheap
And Repair Windows, if that's the only issue

What's wrong with your currently installed Operating System? (Vista I think)

I'd say purchase a DVD Drive (even an external one), they're pretty cheap
And Repair Windows, if that's the only issue

It seems to make my computer very slow and it freezes up a lot. I have XP on my son's computer and I love it. I got this computer free when Frontier (my phone company) had a promotion. It came with Vista installed.

I think you should do what I mentioned above, then report back, with a new DVD Drive
Note You should not try a Repair if you suspect Virus infection, best to go here for that: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I know you don't like Vista, but we may need it operational again to get your product key for: "money program that I bought and downloaded"

Or contact the company that you bought it off, they may re-issue another key, due to problems with your computer

Thank you. It is not a virus. I have run scans and such. I have a firewall up too. I feel as if it is the OS. Not sure, but I feel like it is.

I have the CD for Money 2005. I may be able to install it and use my back up from plus to get everything on MOney 2005. Or just start all over.

Is there a way for me to connect my son's tower and my tower together and transfer programs from one to another?

Yes from both computers running Windows first ;)
But just transferring the Program from your %Programfiles% directory will not help, because when Programs install, they install to multiple folders including your UserAccount; Windows and most important of all, multiple places in your Registry (where your key highly likely exists)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back