Installing XP over Vista help

By megtvg
Jan 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell computer that has no floppy drive or CD burner. I have all my pictures backed up on Photobucket.

However, I have a money program that I bought and downloaded. I have lost the email that had the product key. So, I may be SOL on that one.

Is there a way to install XP over Vista without loosing everything on my computer?

Any advise on this matter would be grateful!!!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

What's wrong with your currently installed Operating System? (Vista I think)

I'd say purchase a DVD Drive (even an external one), they're pretty cheap
    And Repair Windows, if that's the only issue
  3. megtvg

megtvg Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

It seems to make my computer very slow and it freezes up a lot. I have XP on my son's computer and I love it. I got this computer free when Frontier (my phone company) had a promotion. It came with Vista installed.
  4. kimsland

I think you should do what I mentioned above, then report back, with a new DVD Drive
    Note You should not try a Repair if you suspect Virus infection, best to go here for that: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I know you don't like Vista, but we may need it operational again to get your product key for: "money program that I bought and downloaded"

Or contact the company that you bought it off, they may re-issue another key, due to problems with your computer
  5. megtvg

megtvg Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you. It is not a virus. I have run scans and such. I have a firewall up too. I feel as if it is the OS. Not sure, but I feel like it is.

I have the CD for Money 2005. I may be able to install it and use my back up from plus to get everything on MOney 2005. Or just start all over.

Is there a way for me to connect my son's tower and my tower together and transfer programs from one to another?
  6. kimsland

Yes from both computers running Windows first ;)
    But just transferring the Program from your %Programfiles% directory will not help, because when Programs install, they install to multiple folders including your UserAccount; Windows and most important of all, multiple places in your Registry (where your key highly likely exists)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.