Installing XP over Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy. Ive being trying to to install Windows XP over a Pre-Installed Vista PC that i got a few months ago. But there is a problem that i encounter when im doing it, so i will go through all the steps of how i do it:

1.Insert XP disk in my PC
2.Restart my PC
3.Press any key to boot.
4.Choose which drive i want to install XP on.
5.Wait for the files to be copied. Then restarts.
6.Now heres the problem: When it restarts all the usual stuff comes up like the motherboard crap but when it gets to the press any key to boot from cd bit, the next part of the XP set up is supposed to come up after it says that, except with me it just keeps on saying press any key to boot from cd then i have to press ctrl+alt+del to restart and the cycle goes on and on.

Its driving me nuts and i really want XP back so please help. Also im no n00b when it comes to PCs if thats any help. ;)

Hi,
First of all, if you want to remove your vista installation, and put XP on, you have to delete all partitions and clean mbr...The best way to do that is to burn one boot cd with a DOS, Fdisk, and Partition magic on it...Boot from that cd, and go directly to fdisk. All Vista partitions would be marked as Non-Dos partitions...delete all of them (offcorse first you have to backup all the important data if you have any)...when fdisk says that there are no more partitions on your hard drive, quit to dos...type fdisk /mbr... restart the machine with the same boot cd...go to partition magic to make some partitions...The one that will have XP on it, should be Primary partiton...set that partition as active...and that's it...restart this time with a XP cd in it...choose where you want to install XP...this should work...cheers

Hi,
First of all, if you want to remove your vista installation, and put XP on, you have to delete all partitions and clean mbr...The best way to do that is to burn one boot cd with a DOS, Fdisk, and Partition magic on it...Boot from that cd, and go directly to fdisk. All Vista partitions would be marked as Non-Dos partitions...delete all of them (offcorse first you have to backup all the important data if you have any)...when fdisk says that there are no more partitions on your hard drive, quit to dos...type fdisk /mbr... restart the machine with the same boot cd...go to partition magic to make some partitions...The one that will have XP on it, should be Primary partiton...set that partition as active...and that's it...restart this time with a XP cd in it...choose where you want to install XP...this should work...cheers

Alright...but i have no idea how to do that. Could you give me a quick guide? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back