TechSpot

Installing XP Pro on USB which SDK tool and ISO to use

1. I’m going to install xp on a usb it would come in handy for me i think I can follow the steps but I don’t think i have any sdk tools i dont know what they are at all I have window 7 64 or vista 32 does any one know where I can get at them I attached more of the the steps some one else gave on here ones for if you don’t know what im doing exactly

Step 12:navigate in the cmd window to the folder where you have the SDK tools installed and to the bin folder..mine is installed in D:\SDK..so on the cmd window I type D: press enter. Then I type cd SDK\BIN This makes the command prompt say D:\SDK\BIN>

Step 13:Let's say you saved the files on your c drive in a folder named 1..you would need to type this.. cabarc x C:\1\USBSTOR.IN_ then press enter

And some help on what iso editor I should use I was thinking winiso or ultraiso
    thanks

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

What form of USB media are you using?

As far as I am aware, you just need to make the USB device bootable, and then you can just copy the entire CD directory structure over to the device. It certainly works for Windows 7 install media.

3. ruready2

ruready2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 219

I agree with Leeky. I do not believe SDk files are necessary. Check out the link below. I think it will help you a great deal.

http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

4. idkwhatimdoing

idkwhatimdoing TS Rookie Topic Starter

those are the instructions was using I did not understand or could not get them to work in command prompt the ones in zip file are a different way of doing it or something I ended up useing WinRAR to uncompress the USB.IN_ USBPORT.IN_ USBSTOR.IN_ files now I can’t get them back to .in_ I don’t know if the command changed in window7 I just think I don’t know how to use cmd right can some one post the commands on hire so I can copy/past it in to the cmd I can run the command in vista if you think that could be the problem I got them right on c:drive the file names are usb usbport usbstor
    I think I’m supposed to use this command compact

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.