TechSpot

Instant Malware

By ChrisLam
Sep 21, 2007
  1. It is possible to download a file that installs its malware on your computer automatically (or triggered by a virus scan, mouse movement, etc.)? Or do you have to open or execute it for it to install?

And those websites that say you have spyware on our computer. I went to one today accidentally. I was searching up my calculator my anyways it automatically scanned my computer for spyware. It was quick though I pressed back before it go to the end. When i pressed back, is said that I still have spyware on my computer and that I need to download so and so. (Obviously I did not download it) Is it possible for it to install malware on my computer while I am visiting the site?

Should I post the site that I just went to?

BTW I am doing a Spybot S&D scan right now.

Thanks,
    Chris Lam

OOO it turns out that Spybot S&D has found BPS Spyware Remover:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{some code in hex}

EDIT: I used S&D to fix the BPS problem.

website I went to was www2.posfy.cn/casio.html.

BECAREFUL. WEBSITE COULD BE DANGEROUS.

2. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

You could visit a website and get malware.

Please read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions Follow all instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, but only after doing the above.

Regards Jase :)

This thread is for the use of ChrisLam only. Please do not post your own virus/spyware problems into this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

3. ChrisLam

ChrisLam TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

I have removed the malware myself.

Also, I have a question:

If I downloaded a file, and did not open it and did a virus scan, is there a way it can get malware onto my computer?

Thanks
    Chris

4. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

Depends, but if you don't extract the file, say a torrent then the contents of that file will not be put on to your computer.

Here's a good online scanner which checks any files for malware.

Regards Jase :)

5. ChrisLam

ChrisLam TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

If I leave a program like BitTorrent on connected, can hackers or malware infect my computer?

6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Technically no, Unless they are port scanning within BitTorrent to get to their victims, all P2P programs open specific ports to allow into your computer to extract / import files ( download or upload ;) )

It's a bad thing to use a p2p program since that's where most viruses can get downloaded :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.