Instant Reboot when accessing networked files

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i try to access any files over my network but only when i try to access files from my base unit(wired) either from my dell laptop(wireless) or ps3(wired). The base unit just reboots with no warning just the monitor goes black and the machine automatically reboots.
I'm using a buffalo wbr g54 router the base unit is a abit ul8 motherboard with an athlon64 with 1gb memory running xp home, I was using norton anti-virus/internet security on the base unit but have un-installed to see if this made a difference but not as yet. Ive updated motherboard firmware but still the same. I have no conflicts in device manager and the psu is an decent unit
Any advice would go a long way to helping me sort this out.
Thanks in advance

I would start with the NIC - if this is an on board NIC fit a new one into a PCI slot and try again.
If you are running with fixed IP addresses I have seen this before - just check that there are no duplicated preset IP addresses as well.

Thanks for that i will try the NIC over the weekend.
The ip addresses have no conflicts, but i'll let you know how i get on

go to the Event viewer and look under System Errors for Yellow or RED flags.
report your findings ....

there are quite a few errors but nothing that i can definately link through to a network problem. This is the only thing that has anything netwrok related visble

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11165
Date: 27/11/2007
Time: 12:29:09
User: N/A
Computer: BASE
Description:
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {9C684EDF-4B0C-4B5D-A24F-CCF664BF760B}
Host Name : base
Primary Domain Suffix : Mshome
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Data:
0000: 2a 23 00 00 *#..

hum; this is a warning (ie Yellow) condition and a low propability of a reboot,
as the system does not require a DNS to operate.

you should be VERY concerned if you find MANY errors+warnings; a properly
configured system has very FEW if any of either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back