Instead of buying a usb-lock....

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1n9k00p4

instead of buying an actual usb pen lock, that locks up your PC when you remove the pen and then opens the computer for use when that same usb pen is re-inserted.

Is it possible to just get software that can do this? like place 1 part of the software on my old 64mb pen so when that pen is removed no one can use my machine untill i put that pen back into one of the usb ports.

this is kinda lazy i guess, but I did google it for a while but obviously nothing was found.

any ideas?

BANKAI

Mybe. If you're any good at programming or scripting, you could create a service on your machine that scans for a pass-code in a file on the pen drive which locks the desktop when it's not present, but unlocks it when it is. If the service is set to global startup, it would run as soon as someone was logged in, and lock that desktop too if the pen drive wasn't present.

The down side is that should that pen drive ever be corrupted, you'd be in trouble (unless you could use the recovery console to disable the process. If you could, then your machine would only be secure if the case was locked and your bios was password protected.

How you'd do that is another question though, as I'm not a programmer.

I don't know if there's something available already for it though. I doubt it's a common need, and a quick google seems to turn up nothing as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back