Instruction at 0x77fc8f11 referenced memory at 0x9486f4f8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've created an executable file using Director 8.5.1 and converted it to a screen saver using ScreenTime For Director 2.0.9c. I've been getting a complaint that P3 800's and above running Windows 2K with 192MB of RAM are getting this message:

The instruction at "0x77fc8f11" referenced memory at "0x9486f4f8". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Does anyone know what this is or how I might be able to avoid getting this error? Seems to run fine on XP. Thanks in advance!!!

Some things to consider:

1. Doe the users in question get the error when running the EXE instead of the screen saver? If not, then the conversion to scr is highly suspect.

2. If so, is the error instantaneous on execution, or delayed in time? If it's delayed in time, especially with the high numers in the addresses, I'd suspect a memory leak or stack overflow of some type. This can be caused by an array of new() objects. Can also be caused by a circular reference in classes (object A contains an item of class B, class B contains an object of type class A, and so forth.)

Some simple research also mentions that ActiveX controls can be to fault when you have corrupt indexes, and of course you always have the wonderful issue of not knowing what error you might get when you reference an uninitialized pointer/null pointer.

Try compiliing with debug symbols and have problem users run that, let you know what they get back. See if it helps any.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back