Insufficient power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHaotix8

I've been using a unit I received from work a year ago that's always had random boot issues. Occasionally when I turn it off or restart for an update, it will power down and when it's supposed to reboot/I turn it back on you hear power go to the CPU and and low power to the fan on the video card. No hard drive, cooling fan, keyboard or other usb outs are getting power during this time. I've tried unplugging both hard drives, the sound card, all usb/ethernet devices, basically everything except the video card to determine if it's an issue of a lack of power (I'm using a 600Watt Power supply and a Nvidia Geforcee FX 7800GTX card by the way) and it still won't generate enough power to even load an image on the screen. This has been happening ever since I rebuilt the computer for my personal use.

Do you guys believe it's a motherboard issue or am I overlooking something? I just realized I haven't tested the memory yet so I'll go do that after I submit this post; though I don't think that's it.

Edit: Yup, not the memory.

What is the make of your PSU? Just because it says it is 600 watts doen't mean it is 600 watts.

Also, have you ever used a multimeter or have a friend with a multimeter to test your psu?

Thank you for the reply.

It's an FSP brand Power Supply that I purchased in 2007. I honestly didn't do too much research and bought it just because it was around $119 and met the required output for my video card.

And no, I don't have a multimeter but I will ask my supervisor at work if we have one. I would not be surprised at all if it was the power supply. However, as I am currently a student, I'd like to know for sure before I commit to a purchase since I don't necessarily have an abundance of cash.

Understand about being a student; been there, done that, poor. ;)

It should take someone about 15 to 20 mintes to test your PSU but keep in mind the psu it has to be connected to your motherboard running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back