Intel 14th-gen Core desktop processors will likely require a new LGA 2551 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tudor Cibean

Staff
The big picture: Intel's Meteor Lake processors will reportedly move to a new socket, forcing Alder Lake owners to buy a new motherboard as well if they want to upgrade. This is in stark contrast to AMD's AM4 platform, where CPUs launched this year work remarkably well even on five-year-old boards.

According to new rumors, Intel's 14th-gen desktop processors, codenamed Meteor Lake, will require a new LGA 2551 socket, meaning that current LGA 1700 motherboards would support only two CPU generations -- as has been the case for quite some time -- the current Alder Lake CPUs will be followed by Raptor Lake in late 2022.

LGA 2551 will reportedly measure 38 x 46 mm, making it 0.5 mm wider and 1 mm longer than LGA 1700. Fitting over 50% more pins in a similar footprint means that pin density is going to be a lot higher. This will also probably be the company's first DDR5-only platform.

Meteor Lake is expected to arrive in Q4 2023, and will feature several new technologies Intel's been developing. It'll introduce a new tiled architecture, with TDPs ranging from 5W to 125W.

The compute tile would utilize the Intel 4 process node and debut new architectures for both P-cores and E-cores. Meanwhile, the graphics tile will be built on TSMC's N3 node and feature up to twice as many EUs as Alder Lake. Everything will be fused together using Intel's Foveros 3D packaging technology, which allows the chipmaker to stack the tiles on top of each other.

It's unfortunate that Intel plans to change sockets after only two CPU generations again, just as it did with LGA 1200. In contrast, AMD utilized the AM4 socket over four generations of Zen processors (and some CPUs and APUs based on the Excavator microarchitecture). We recently tested the company's Ryzen 7 5800X3D on budget B350 motherboards launched back in 2017 and found that the combination works flawlessly.

Permalink to story.

In reality, the percentage of customers who upgrade the CPU on an older motherboard is significantly under 1%, which makes the whole compatibility argument pointless.

I've been in the IT industry for 30 years, and neither me no anybody I know ever tried to upgrade the CPU. You buy MB + CPU together, don't care about some special cases.

Hahaha.

Folks should keep buying AMD cpus with their policy of extended-life sockets until the Sun runs out of fuel.

We forced Chipzilla to move on from Single Core Cpus, then Dual Core Cpus then Dual Core with HT cpus, then 4C Cpus then 4 Core with HT Cpus.

If ppl won't keep buying more AMD CPUs, Intel will be happy to sell us 6C Cpus as high-end mainstream for the next 150 years or so and they will probably even bring back the Single Gen Socket 1150 paradigm wherein S1150 motherboards only rly took in Haswell CPUs as nobody rly ever saw desktop mainstream Broadwell processors.

E.g. my own Asus Maximus VI Hero high end Z87 Lynx Point motherboard only rly supports Haswell processors (barely) BUT NOT Broadwell processors which nobody ever saw in the market anyway.

Even so, Intel made it so that one should spend several hours at the ASUS ROG forums, petition moderators and perform numerous obscure updates for the Z87 board to even suppport Haswell "Devil's Canyon" (e.g. 4790K) CPUs and even then only barely. A single BIOS update is not enough, and that's all planned by Intel to serve their "Planned Obsolesence" policy.

For INTEL standards, the fact that we even saw motherboards that managed to take in two whole generations of CPUs (after Skylake) w/o major issues should be attributed solely to AMD competition IMO.

P.S.: In spite of Intel f*boys, I will keep exposing Intel's total lack of integrity and respect for the money invested by customers whom Intel disrespects and sees as sheep to be shorn of their fleece as many times as possible.

Reminder that were it not for AMD, Intel would still happily sell us Single Core CPUs "with Hyperthreading" such as Northwood P4 CPUS and the f*bois would tell us to suck it up and be quiet.

Last edited:
I've been in the IT industry for 30 years, and neither me no anybody I know ever tried to upgrade the CPU. You buy MB + CPU together, don't care about some special cases.
I have upgraded CPU on every single motherboard I have owned. Usually when people say they are not doing something, it means they don't have enough skill to do it. Therefore I highly suspect that you have been on IT industry for 30 years...

In reality, the percentage of customers who upgrade the CPU on an older motherboard is significantly under 1%, which makes the whole compatibility argument pointless.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Any sources for the 1%?
And ofc if a company keeps changing sockets, then you will have fewer folks upgrading the cpu only, since they can't put a newly released cpu on their mobo

But with the AM4 and AMD things are totally different, it makes perfect sense to upgrade your cpu only. The 5800X3d cant run just fine on several B350

I'm curious, any source ?

If this rumor is true then expensive beefy z690 motherboards with 20+ phases of power delivery are such a waste. Why such beeefy power delivery if they’re phased out in 2 years? If true, z790 will be a complete waste. A dead platform replaced within 12 months. If true, intel is really full of sh*t.

Any sources for the 1%?
And ofc if a company keeps changing sockets, then you will have fewer folks upgrading the cpu only, since they can't put a newly released cpu on their mobo

But with the AM4 and AMD things are totally different, it makes perfect sense to upgrade your cpu only. The 5800X3d cant run just fine on several B350

His is an irrelevant statistic for the readers of this website.

Sure, I work in IT and we never replace a CPU, not even once. Money is spent on fully warranted entire systems like Dell Optiplexes and Latitudes. You need something better, you buy a new one.

Of course, this is TechSpot, where PC Gaming enthusiasts are and of course far more than 1% of CPUs are upgraded. Because nobody here uses an Optiplex or Latitude, lol!

Intel are like "The Evul Empire", Sith in the Star Wars, with the Night's King and the Undead against the Stark Clan in the "Game of Thrones" and with the "Cylons" even in the Battlestar Galactica universe against the Humans.

Τhey have to go in the interest of the People.

Yeah sure buddy. No way you are 30 years in IT. More likely only reddit warrior.

If this rumor is true then expensive beefy z690 motherboards with 20+ phases of power delivery are such a waste. Why such beeefy power delivery if they’re phased out in 2 years? If true, z790 will be a complete waste. A dead platform replaced within 12 months. If true, intel is really full of sh*t.

As if everyone upgrade after 1 or 2 years

I7 8700K is still decent cpu even today and it is very old

I have something like i7 13700K, I would use it for at least 5 years. By that time the mobo will be outdated anyway.

Last edited:

I think you are messing the point here...
for Intel MB you only have one generation plus optimised one (tick tock), for sure you are not going to upgrade in this case as the improvement is very minimal (5-10%).
for Ryzen Cpus, from Zen 1 to Zen 3+ there is about 60-100 % improvement.
if Intel followed similar strategy say (fantasy of course) between Kaby lake until Adler lake then for sure people would upgrade the CPU instead of the whole SET

Things are changing - a mother board used to be $40 to $200 . As motherboard features mature and get good enough - then is nice to know that $350 motherboard with lots of goodies can be used again .
This will apply to a lot of other things as well - if you have a great TV or amplifier you can offload updates to small addon players , DACs etc .
same for cars - you would like manufacturers to be able to retrofit new electronic features etc .

With motherboards you can still get new features with PCI cards , USB dongles etc .

TL/DR motherboards are now similar priced to CPUs are more feature packed

Attention: 2551 minus 1700 equals 851.

Have any of you AMD fanbois, IT wizards, or Intel haters, ever considered , (even if only briefly), the simple fact that the new CPUs might simply need 851 more pins to operate?

The technology really isn't about what you think you "need", or WTF you think you're entitled to.Everything you post points to the fact you think Intel is out to personally spite you. Guess what, you're not that important, get over it.
Reminder that were it not for AMD, Intel would still happily sell us Single Core CPUs "with Hyperthreading" such as Northwood P4 CPUS and the f*bois would tell us to suck it up and be quiet.
But then again when Intel "finally" did release the Core 2 Duo E-6300, they damned near put AMD out of business

And I'd say the majority of you were tripping over yourselves to get one.

Last edited:

I must be in your 1%. I upgraded my old 2700X to a 5600X on an aging 470 board and saw enormous performance boosts, even on the old board! AMD all the way.

Holy bacon, I am a one percenter?! Hoorah!

But that's weird... AMD processors had recently been frequently low on availability while its mainboards were always available. I thought the supply was the issue but they were always top seller. It just doesn't correlate as it should be. So I must be high on coke if I think I were a one percenter.

Anyway, with this news AMD should start marketing themselves as leader in sustainability for the industry. The possibility of Intel owning that word is similar to my chance of becoming a one percenter.

Attention: 2551 minus 1700 equals 851.

Have any of you AMD fanbois, IT wizards, or Intel haters, ever considered , (even if only briefly), the simple fact that the new CPUs might simply need 851 more pins to operate?

The technology really isn't about what you think you "need", or WTF you think you're entitled to.Everything you post points to the fact you think Intel is out to personally spite you. Guess what, you're not that important, get over it.

But then again when Intel "finally" did release the Core 2 Duo E-6300, they damned near put AMD out of business

And I'd say the majority of you were tripping over yourselves to get one.

Highly unlikely that they need the extra pins and size. Even if they did, it is the case of the 'boy who cried wolf'; No one would believe them if they did as its what they've always done. If AMD can last multiple generations of CPU, then im sure 'the mighty, all wise, not out to money grab' Intel could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back