Intel 82810E Graphics Driver on XP Home SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot get the onboard Intel 82810E graphics controller to work on XP Home SP2 or SP3. This is a new installation on an old (very) spare Fujitsu Siemens Scenic T. I have tried the drivers downloaded from the Intel website (win2k_xpe67.exe) and from the Fujitsu Siemens website, which look to be the same. Also tried using windows drivers (system32\drivers) with the same result of 640 X 480 screen resolution and 4 bit color. Have tried the Intel workaround of disabling the 82810E controller, which defaults to standard VGA and doing a clean install of the drivers...still no joy. I'm ready to give up and just buy a cheap graphics card, as the machine is to only be used in a guest bedroom for people to browse and check email when visiting. Still, hate to be defeated by a graphics driver of all things. Was hoping for some suggestions or maybe someone knows of a generic driver that would give decent resolution and color.

After downloading the driver file, what happens when you try to install it?

Intel 82810E Graphics Driver Install

With the 82810E graphics controller disabled (via Device Manager), and uninstalling the Intel drivers, I run the installation downloaded from the Intel website (win2k_xpe67.exe). Installation runs fine, reboot the computer, enable the graphics controller. System detects new hardware and picks up newly installed drivers. Then go to control panel/display settings and find the screen resolution is now back to 640 X 480 and color at Lowest (4 bit) and no other settings available. Have also tried installing the previous version of the drivers (win2k_xpe66.exe) with the exact same result.

I don't think you are installing the downloaded driver correctly if I understood your post correctly. Don't disable the graphics controller, just uninstall the old driver. Install the new driver while the graphics controller is enabled. When the system is detecting new hardware it is installing Windows' generic graphics driver.

Had tried to install the new drivers as you recommend, initially, with the same result previously reported. Have only tried disabling the graphics controller as a recommended fix from the Intel website if you cannot change the display settings post installing the new drivers. Today I have tried to install the drivers yet again with the graphics controller enabled, still same result. Then, in frustration about the whole stupid thing, uninstalled the drivers, disabled the graphics controller, and tried loading the drivers manually. I downloaded the drivers .zip file instead of the .exe from the Intel wesite, unzipped the file, and located the drivers. When new hardware was detected I browsed to the Intel drivers to be sure the "correct" drivers were loading,....with the exact same results. So am at a loss really...

When Windows tries to install graphics drivers when you restart, cancel it, then go to the graphics driver executable and double click on it or open it from the "Run" box.

Installed drivers again per your instructions with the same result as all other attempts. I hate to say I'm giving up, but this one is a mystery. I would have thought the manual installation approach would have ensured the correct drivers were loading. I've located a cheap graphics card, so may just thrown in the towel on this one unless anyone has any more ideas.

Have you checked system logs? just in case it may have recorded failings of the driver for whatever reason?

Checked the system log.., nothing of note,very clean in fact, as this is a new installation of XP home. The graphics drivers went south when Service Pack 2 went on, no better with Service Pack 3, the Intel drivers don't work...so is there any way to go back to the original XP Home installation drivers? Would a "repair" install of XP Home work or trying to manually load the drivers from the installation CD? I know..am grasping at straws now...Also...sorry for the location of this post...looks like it should have been under OS & software\device drivers....Lesson learned...will get it right next time.

If you resort to XP repair option through setup cd; it will restore your windows installation to SP1 state, while preserving all the other applications you may have installed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back