TechSpot

Intel & AMD cut prices

By Julio Franco
Feb 25, 2003
  1. Chipmakers Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) recently announced price cuts on their processor lines for desktops and servers/workstations, with discounts reaching as high as 21% for Intel and 31.8% for AMD.

If you were planning on investing in a new CPU you may want to wait a couple of days until prices settle and get a better price. With the price cuts in mind, I would say the best value can be got from the P4 2.53GHz and AthlonXPs 2700+ & 2400+.

I certainly miss the AMD bandwagon somewhat after I switched to a Pentium 4 a couple of months ago, in the other hand, both Thomas and Derek (P66) are enjoying their new shining XP CPUs ;).

2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,604   +110

Can't beat my 2100+ Tbred B (I know I keep going on about it) @ 2.2Ghz (2700+) for £70!

3. Cucumber

Cucumber TS Rookie Posts: 203

Nice OC there Arris...not quite as high as this bloke here though;)
    XP2100 OverClock

[​IMG]

Come on Arris, you can get that :p

4. Arris

3.3Ghz :eek:
    I'll maybe wire mod the socket and adjust the multiplier up a bit and get to 2.4-2.6Ghz, might even suffer my Delta scremer on the heatsink for a while just to see what this chip will do. But I don't want to scare my bank account by investing in LN2 cooling and water cooling. Although I might start eyeing up watercooling kits ;)

Also notice the site Only4Pro, and I don't consider myself a pro :D

5. Cucumber

Yeps..watercooling the way to go IMO. Ordering all the parts on Monday, and im currently in the process of designing blocks for CPU/Gfx Core/Nforce2 NB :)

...getting myself a 1700+ aswell, one of the people i know over at xtremesystems.org got his 1700+ to 2940mhz :eek: using plain watercooling
    [​IMG]

Nice homemade block too...
    [​IMG]

...need to get myself in on the action ...can't see my block being quite that good though;)

6. Arris

You have the tools or access to the tools to make your own blocks??

7. Cucumber

Yep :) ...my 6th form technology project is based on Water-Cooling my PC. So i have full access to all milling machines etc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.