Intel and HP find oldest working PC

By Julio Franco
Jan 16, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutch company PHI DATA yesterday received a prize from Intel, HP and Dutch IT weekly Computable for still owning and operating a vintage IBM 5160 (Intel 8088) computer from 1983. PHI Data uses the IBM to test matrix printers. It is now officialy the oldest obsolete-yet-active PC in the Low Countries.

HP and Intel started the contest to show that companies should keep current with their technology needs. Because of the recession ,most companies haven't upgraded their systems since 1999. The contest was attended by more than 70 companies. One company claimed it was still doing accounting on an old eighties PC.

Read more: The Register.
  2. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge Newcomer, in training Posts: 137

All I can say to that is... DAMN!!!!!!
  3. Federelli

Federelli Newcomer, in training Posts: 382

HAh, they've never been to Argentina...
  4. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Thats not so amazing, I have an Epson from around that same era, works perfectly. Also have a C-64 in perfect condition. I have an Altair as well but it hasn't worked in years :(
  5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

I agree Stom...

I have an IBM PS/2 8580-071 still working, it's from 1987 I think...
  6. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Yeah, but you're not still using it are you? ;)
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I have seen a number of computers older than that, although I suppose they aren't PCs. :)

Just recently sold a Commodore pet that worked. Manufacture date? 1974. Oh yeah!
  8. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

As matter of fact, the Epson and Comadore both are used from time to time, the comadore more so than the Epson.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.