Intel announces second generation MinnowBoard, cuts price to $99

By Shawn Knight
Apr 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Last summer, Intel launched a competitor to the Raspberry Pi hobby board known as the MinnowBoard. Chipzilla's offering was admittedly much more expensive than the competition but it was a bit more powerful as well. Now, Intel is back with...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,375

Will Intel ever understand that in 99% cases of where Raspberry Pi is used the cost outweighs the performance?
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

What they understand is people on the fence trying to decide if they want the underpowered device. And if another option existed with more power, it might appeal to the one that held out. To be honest, I don't think Intel really cares about the market. I believe they stuck their finger in it just to say they did.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Sounds like an excuse to me :p

No but seriously, I agree with the argument of price. I have a Rasberry Pi that I used as a development board (Now a file Server when im not doing anything on it) and honestly I would rather have the cheaper option.

Though the Nvidia Tegra Dev board is very appealing for someone like me into making apps because you get the Kepler Tegra chip which to me would more justify the price of said item. I just don't see the minnow being that great enough to justify the extra expense especially for me when all I run is a Linux Kernel on them.
    freythman likes this.