Intel appeals $1.33bn antitrust fine to EU's second highest court

By Leeky
Jul 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has appealed against its record antitrust fine, labeling the evidence used against it by the European antitrust regulators as "profoundly inadequate" following a record €1.06 billion ($1.33bn) fine for anti-competitive practices...

Read more
  2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

"He argued that the European Commission lacked strong enough evidence to justify the ruling."
    How about the fact that Intel already paid AMD $1.25 billion for the equivalent case in the US.
    Or was that just out of charity and goodwill? :D

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2873
  3. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

I wonder, if this sticks, whether the commission will then apply it to big software vendors like SAP, which has of late kicked several longtime "partners" out of its formal ecosystem and relabeled them as competitors. I saw an analyst report that noted this happening and it looked to me like what Microsoft used to do to its small Windows utility vendors, anticompetitive in the extreme. SAP is German and sells only to huge corporations, so I wonder if the same rules about fair play would be applied by an EU court to them. Just sayin'.
  4. I don't see anything wrong with INTEL paying Dell and all the other manufacturers HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in rebates on the condition that they don't use AMD products - or face Intel paying massive predatory subsidies to their competitors as punishment.

Most Americans don't even know how MONOPOLIES steal from them by blocking out competition and healthy pricing.

We should let Intel get away with it, so that Intel can continue to monoplize and get richer.
  5. Mantrhax

Mantrhax Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

Looks like European antitrust regulators are out of money and are trying to cash.
  6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

if they are going to do business with a lack of morals and ethics then I'm happy to see Intel get stuffed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.