Intel CEO believes Microsoft is releasing Windows 8 before it's ready

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft will be releasing Windows 8 in one month but if you’re Intel CEO Paul Otellini, that’s too early. The chief told employees during a recent company event in Taiwan that Microsoft is releasing Windows 8 before it’s fully ready and that improvements still need to be made to the software, according to someone who attended the event as reported by Bloomberg.

Despite Otellini’s belief that the next generation operating system isn’t ready, he still feels that Microsoft is making the right move. Redmond wants the OS to ship with computers and tablets to better compete with Apple and give overall PC sales a much-needed boost. The CEO says Microsoft can make the necessary tweaks to Windows 8 in the form of patches once it’s out in the wild.

It’s a surprising admission from Otellini considering the two companies are close business partners but Intel isn’t the only one calling out Windows 8. Analyst Michael Cherry from Directions said that while the OS is fundamentally sound, it lacks a lot of robust applications. Furthermore, he doesn’t feel that PC makers have had enough time to work on hardware drivers. This could lead to a number of compatibility issues as users look to connect existing hardware to new Windows 8 computers.

Alex Gauna from JMP Securities LLC echoed these sentiments. In a note to investors dated September 13, he said his company is concerned at the level of bugs and fine tuning that appears to still be necessary to get systems ready for consumer release.

Permalink to story.

Nothing about Windows 8's GUI looks appealing. People like simplicity and love what Apple did for that, but Microsoft's attempt on it looks like a 1980s 2nd graders version of what speed and style should be all about.

I've been using Windows 8 RTM for about two weeks on my desktop and I love almost everything about it.
I do agree, however, that the included apps need work. While they'd be passable for a tablet, they should be up to desktop program standards!
I haven't had any driver issues at all, though I did have to restart once to turn off driver signature checking to get something to work. It would have been nice to just relegate that to a dialogue box.

Nothing about Windows 8's GUI looks appealing. People like simplicity and love what Apple did for that, but Microsoft's attempt on it looks like a 1980s 2nd graders version of what speed and style should be all about.

While, I love linux too much to switch to Win8, I like the direction they're going with the uber simplistic look. Apple almost got there, but ended up getting bogged down in trying make things look like their real world equivalent (the gamecenter, bookcase, etc). It doesn't look intuitive or beautiful, it just looks out of place. Bright, simple color patterns may seem uncreative, but it fits the style of what most people really want their computers to be - fast and light. That's not to say the Metro UI doesn't suck, but they're making progress.

Are we still talking about Windows SALSA edition? I thought we were anticipating WIndows 9 already, c'mon guys! Windows 8 (Salsa spagetti salad) is sooo old now.

The drivers are horrible on Win 8. Dont expect all your windows 7 stuff to be completely compatible with win8. I couldn't even install AMDs Win 8 driver (Win XP compatibility was the only way WTF!!)

Im using the Pro RTM and it feels like a BETA still. Another hint that this is pure tablet OS.

@Guest

Getting a little defensive there, huh? I never said I was speaking for anyone but myself. And I never said it'd sell well. I just said that costumers like simplicity. Its how Apple got to making more money that the U.S. government. How about you try reading the comment before you respond to it.

Fyi - Pong rocks.

Looking at the Windows 8 UI, it looks like Microsoft is confused which way to go.

Windows 8 is doubtlessly better than windows 7 in quite a number of aspects including boot speeds, installation speed and user interface among others. It though has some other weaknesses which should be worked on before it is finally released. Talk of the apps, the shutdown button that is too hidden and the start menu that aint easy to customise. When in an app, one can't easily close it or even minimise it! The whole dragging thing suits best for tablets and touch screen PCs which honestly aint so common on the market and just but a few users have them. Much as they tried to make it compatible with the drivers that worked on windows 7, there are some that aren't compatible and installing them is just a hustle with the access denied message box popping up with every attempt. I and my friends also have issues with the networking and internet sharing in Windows 8. We were used to sharing LAN internet over a wireless network created by the 'internet host' who is plugged in to a network hub on windows 7 but when it comes to windows 8, the host can create a network but it doesn't appear after it has been created hence making internet sharing practically impossible. Windows 8 though is generally better than windows 7 and I can't wait for the release of the official final version.

Windows 8 boot times and improvements may work fine at first but you load all your security programs and normal everyday program then your games then it will slow down to what your useing right now on windows 7 I see no reason to upgrade to windows 8 when windows 7 64bit sp1 is doing everything I want and there's no relearning on how to use the desktop. windows 8 from alot of techs I've talked feel it's like vista and not going to use it. reason windows 7 is so good is because it was originally to replace xp which xp was very good os I even still run it on some old systems. now alot of windows 8 is just a reworked windows7 with a merged android and Apple os. only thing windows 8 be good for is for tablets as replacement for android os but not forceing everyone to use it on desktops of labtops or IT world.

Sorry but I have used Windows 8 and agree with the new Article in Maximum PC. It needs help. I mean I am all for trying new things and Windows 8 has some good features. Actually it might be a decent OS if you rip out Metro. I mean do they seriously think a business could roll out something like Windows 8? How exactly? LOL. No...I'm sure you could like Windows 8 but it tries to hard to force people to like Metro and the the stupid lock-screen before you log into Windows is just crazy. For our company to use Windows 8 we would have to get rid of Metro... Can you really see any possible way or training tellers and general users this OS? It would be a jumbled mess and no way to control anything. I hope Windows 9 actually gets it right but I'm not holding my breath. I called out Windows ME and Vista before they released and I'm calling out Windows 8 as a sucko OS too. I'm sure some people will like it.....like some liked Vista...but us power users know better!

Ah well.

I admit I have difficulty adjusting to some parts of the "Windows 8" UI, but overall I like it, and I like the improvements they've made to several core applications / dialogs.

I'll buy the upgrade when it's available.

I Think the gui "MAY" be nice on a tablet but... unless there is a way to change the guiP which I havent found a way of doing I the consumer preview release" im going to be desiding weather its easier to mod win8s gui or working on getting more of my apps working in linux. Im not agaisnt change I embrace it I learned how to use hte win 8 gui fairly proficiently I just do not prefer it and from a business stand point I dont believe companies will embrace such a dranstic ui change

I have been using Win8 as a daily computer for several months now. the only issue I seem to run into seems to be the skype browser addon thats installed into browsers. it seems to crash quite a bit. Yes Win8s speeds did slow down including the boot speed. but the speeds are still faster than win7. As far as m experience with drivers. My laptop charger over heated and died(long story) so I started using my desktop which has win vista ( home built computer I built about 5 years ago.) after about a month on the desktop the hard drive refused to spin up anymore it was about 5 years old with constant use so it was no surprise. So as a cheap alternative to get a computer working ubtill I had additional funds to get my g51jx functioning again I took teh HDD out of it with win 8 on it through it into my desktop. got up to get a drink and some food so I could eat while I was going to do a win 8 install. but when I came back win 8 had booted up fully with no driver issues. computers are 5 years different in age. completly different machines and win 8 actually switched all the drivers and came up. after another month I purchased a new charger for laptop took the hdd out of the desk top put it back into the laptop watched it this time when it was booting up it said (loading drivers) took about 3 minutes then booted up. it switched the drivers back. Im impressed. I never tried this with win 7 but if I remember right this did not worth with win 2k xp def not ME haha or vista. now for function I dont know what else you would use this feature for other than my example or buying a new computer and cloning the data onto the new computer(which is pretty cool IMO)

Back