Intel completes McAfee acquisition for $7.68 billion

By Jos
Mar 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has announced its $7.68 billion purchase of security vendor McAfee is now complete, marking the largest business acquisition in the company's history and a landmark merger between the world's largest CPU manufacturer and the second largest computer security vendor. Under the terms of the agreement, McAfee will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel and continue developing and selling security products and services under its own brand.

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Hmmm. I know Intel wouldn't exaggerate something like this. I wonder if it will download the virus signatures before the OS ever starts, into someplace secure like the BIOS? <---If this is crazy talk, don't mind me. The reason I mention the OS never starting is because if the OS does start, the virus can block you from downloading signatures. Then again, I'm thinking that this will be a pretty advanced implementation of a virus scan and virus makers will have to up their game.
  3. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 287   +31

Hopefully not the BIOS, I'd hope they only support UEFI if it does indeed stop viruses at that level.
  4. T77

T77 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 315

it sounds like a good strategy,integrating the security software at the hardware level.well the going is going to get tough for the virus makers out there.....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.