Intel confirms a smartwatch is in the pipeline

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel chief technology officer Justin Rattner recently confirmed rumors that the chip maker is indeed working on a smartwatch. The admission came during the Bloomberg Next Big Thing conference where the executive said the watch was part of the company’s exploration into novel display devices.

Rattner hinted that such a device from Intel may have the capability to display text messages. He didn’t drop any other hints about the watch but the admission alone is significant as it could lend some credibility to another rumor that originated late last year.

intel apple iwatch smartwatch

At that time, a Chinese website claimed Intel was working with Apple to develop a watch that would use a 1.5-inch PMOLED display from RiTDisplays. The device was said to use ITO-coated glass while the watch itself would connect to Apple devices via low-power Bluetooth 4.0.

Whether or not Apple, a company that has been keen on distancing themselves from outside help as of late, actually needs assistance from Intel is unknown. Many believe that a smartwatch like the rumored iWatch would offload most of the “processing power” to the device it is connected to – an iPhone.

Wearable computing, as it’s often termed, is expected to be the next big thing in technology. Revenue from existing devices is expected to hit $800 million by the end of this year – a figure that’s forecasted to swell to $1.5 billion in 2014 led by several big names like Acer, Google, Microsoft and Samsung.

Permalink to story.

Geez...using that hand and finger as reference, those damn things are HUGE. No way would I want that hanging on my arm.

Smartphones, Smart glasses, Smart watches... Next thing you know they'll be bringing out smart hats & caps that can automatically change your teams emblem in case you get into trouble shouting for the wrong team at the game. If that doesn't work, maybe you could pick up a smart knuckle duster next.
I wonder how smart underwear will function...

Smart phones, smart TV's, smart cars... just add the word 'smart' and anything sells well.
Also, the more smart things you have, the more vulnerable you are to attacks with whatever purpose. Not only pity thieves can steal your car/watch/etc. , hackers can break into it and do their stuff.

Back