Intel confirms Ivy Bridge delay, cites issues with 22nm process

By Jos
Feb 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. More information on Intel's Ivy Bridge planned launch has come to light over the weekend. Although a recent rumor downplayed a possible delay, saying that quad-core notebook CPUs and all…

Read the whole story
  2. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 278

"Luckily for Intel, weak competition from AMD means they can afford to take their time and get it right."

Ouch. Hurts even more because it's true.
  3. MrTomTom

MrTomTom Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

Thing is AMD isn't trying hard anymore. They're more focused on the notebook CPU market since they've pushed those new fusion cpu/igp chips.
  4. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 304   +25

The only thing they are having trouble manufacturing is the will to act competitive.
  5. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 458   +65

AMD trying hard = Phenom,Phenom II, Bulldozer.

Which wasn't enough to begin with.

So now they are left with the scraps of the other markets, you made it sound like they had a choice.
  6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Conspiracy theorists would say the delay is deliberate because of weak competition...
  7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 458   +65

We don't know if that is the main reason but I guarantee it is one of them.
  8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,699   +586

Just to get back on track...

Sweclockers are reporting that Z77, Z75, H77 and B75 will start hitting retail on 8th April -any buyer would need to use a Sandy Bridge CPU at this time.
    NDA lifts ( tech review sites are allowed to publish) for Ivy Bridge CPU's on 29th April
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,887   +607

are you sure you don't think this because you know nothing about manufacturing a chip at 22nm, but can easily understand the concepts of weak competition?

Until someone explains to me that making a 22nm chip is really easy step to make I'll take Intel at their word.

Anyway... If Intel wanted to either a) wait until Sandy Bridge stuff was sold or b) wait until AMD had a competing chip, then why would they give us a release date?
  10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

Yes going to 22nm would have hurdles. Most die have had yield issues but they used to just plough on ahead cause of competition.
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

Should be "most die shrinks"
  12. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Meh I can wait, its only going to be a 10-20% at best boost over my current 2600k @ 4.5. I will combine it with 2 GTX 680s in SLI when it does come for a current system this Summer as I do every Summer.
  13. computergeek

computergeek Newcomer, in training

ya but your 2 gtx 680 wont be able to utilize pci 3.0 cause your 2600k doesn't support pci 3.0 and ivy does

14. "ya but your 2 gtx 680 wont be able to utilize pci 3.0 cause your 2600k doesn't support pci 3.0 and ivy does"

That's not true. Even HD7970 doesn't benefit from PCIE 3.0 in games.

All you need is PCIe 2.0 x16 at this point to feed a single-GPU videocard.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa

Even PCIe 2.0 x8 has a small performance penalty.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.