Intel confirms plans to release Battlemage GPUs in 2024

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Leaked internal documents previously indicated that Intel aims to release its sophomore dedicated GPU lineup in 2024, including its first enthusiast-class cards. As the company launches its latest CPU series in Japan, a new official roadmap contains the clearest confirmation of its Battlemage release plans.

A presentation slide outlining Intel's latest roadmap shows that the company has slated its upcoming Arc Battlemage GPUs for release sometime in 2024, validating prior leaks and rumors. Next year, Intel's second generation of mainstream GPUs and first-ever enthusiast cards might compete with AMD's RDNA 4 lineup and possibly Nvidia's GeForce RTX 5000.

Intel's presentation to mark the Japanese launch of the Meteor Lake CPUs focuses primarily on the company's AI-related ambitions. However, one slide contains a section for GPUs on the bottom right labeled "upcoming products" for 2024, featuring an image of a Battlemage graphics chip, marking the first time Intel has publicly indicated the new dedicated GPUs would launch next year.

Another company that recently acknowledged upcoming Intel graphics cards is HWiNFO. The latest version of its diagnostic software includes preliminary support for Battlemage and its successor, Celestial. Furthermore, it lays the groundwork for Panther Lake and Nova Lake integrated GPUs.

Leaks from throughout 2023 put Battlemage on the company's 2024 roadmap and listed a range of improvements over Intel's inaugural Alchemist series. Based on Xe2 HPG architecture and TSMC's 4nm process node, Battlemage will feature improved ray tracing performance, updated DeepLink capabilities, and new machine learning technology. The machine learning could include ExtraSS – the AI frame generation technique Intel recently outlined.

Alchemist cards suffered a troubled launch in 2022, as Intel struggled to ship the GPUs in previously confirmed timeframes, and its drivers fared poorly with DirectX 11 and DirectX 9 games. Numerous software updates have since dramatically improved performance, but Intel has barely cut into AMD's graphics AIB market share.

Moreover, while Alchemist only contained entry-level and mid-range products, the company confirmed that Battlemage will also attempt to compete in the enthusiast ring. If the lineup launches in 2024, it will go up against AMD's RDNA 4 series – which, ironically, might only comprise mainstream products – and Nvidia's refreshed RTX 4000 Super cards. Team Green's upcoming RTX 5000 could also reach the market next year but may slip into 2025.

Intel's presentation also covered how the company migrated Meteor Lake integrated GPUs to the Xe architecture featured in Alchemist. The company says the results compare favorably to AMD's Zen 4 iGPUs, and Meteor Lake can use ML-based upscaling to improve performance further.

Permalink to story.

With talks of next gen consoles on the rise hopefully they aren't going to be competing with all in (one package rumored ) PS5 pro and actually compete in the mid to high end tiers. This is why I believe Nvidia will attempt to offer a big gap in performance delta with Blackwell flagship. They will try to space themselves as far as they can away from next gen consoles and Intel. fill the tiers within the gap to justify its sky is the limit premiums. I wish them the best of luck. The gpu market is definitely is desperate need of a competitive Intel imo.

The final nail in the coffin of Intel GPU division.

""Team Green's upcoming RTX 5000 could also reach the market next year but may slip into 2025""

Nope .. NV has already begun spinning down consumer gpu plans .. if there are any 5xxx series cards they will be 5050/5060 only and all the rest of TSMC purchased capacity will go to AI silicon that sells for 1000x more per die

If you are LUCKY, you will be allowed by intel to buy one thier cards in mid 2025 .. if not you will be FORCED to buy ####ing crap amd gpus ...

""Team Green's upcoming RTX 5000 could also reach the market next year but may slip into 2025""

Nope .. NV has already begun spinning down consumer gpu plans .. if there are any 5xxx series cards they will be 5050/5060 only and all the rest of TSMC purchased capacity will go to AI silicon that sells for 1000x more per die

If you are LUCKY, you will be allowed by intel to buy one thier cards in mid 2025 .. if not you will be FORCED to buy ####ing crap amd gpus ...
Will Nvidia want to put all their eggs on one basket and not keep their diversified portfolio 🤔? Yeah I don't see it especially when AMD is already showing competitive products now and has successors in their pipeline. Would Nvidia risk a potential saturated ai market especially in 2025 when their will be more players on the table from the looks of it?

Hopefully Arc was just a warm up and Battlemage can offer something competitive with mid-high range.
Intel needs to hit drivers out of the park this time. They dont have the underdog mindshare of AMD where 6+ months before optimizations are implemented is seen as a good thing.

This reads like something straight off of WCCFtech. There's no evidence of Nvidia spinning down consumer GPUs, anymore-so then the plans of AMD abandoning rDNA4's big GPUs. The gaming division is still a 6-8 BILLION dollar industry for nvidia alone. Also AMD GPUs are not "crap". Maybe you should try one sometime? You might realize how badly nvidia has been ripping you off the last few generations.

Damn I want someone to give nvidia some competition for higher end cards.
Force those sorry *** holes to lower prices.

By the time Battlemage hits the market, they are going to face off next gen GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. With Intel consistently 1 cycle late, it is going to be an uphill battle at the high end. The current A770 is generally performing around a RTX 3070/ RX 6700 XT. So even if I assume 50% increase in performance, it’s still just doing ok in current gen GPU lineup. Let’s see how early Intel can release Battlemage next year. If they can release it earlier in the year, I think it can still be a good alternative. Otherwise, they are just going to end up competing on price, just like current A7xx series.

By the time Battlemage hits the market, they are going to face off next gen GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. With Intel consistently 1 cycle late, it is going to be an uphill battle at the high end. The current A770 is generally performing around a RTX 3070/ RX 6700 XT. So even if I assume 50% increase in performance, it’s still just doing ok in current gen GPU lineup. Let’s see how early Intel can release Battlemage next year. If they can release it earlier in the year, I think it can still be a good alternative. Otherwise, they are just going to end up competing on price, just like current A7xx series.

But if Intel can move into the mid range market then the AMD and Nvidia gpu's in that market should drop in price making them alot more affordable for most of us.

This whole thread is a play on the "I want AMD to be competitive so that I can buy cheaper NV cards" meme.

Everyone wants Intel to be competitive not because they're going to buy Intel cards, but so that they can get their NV cards for a song.

Not gonna happen folks, NV knows they're the only game in town, and they're really only going to compete with themselves, they don't really care about AMD and even less so Intel, regardless of what they do with pricing.

This whole thread is a play on the "I want AMD to be competitive so that I can buy cheaper NV cards" meme.

Everyone wants Intel to be competitive not because they're going to buy Intel cards, but so that they can get their NV cards for a song.

Not gonna happen folks, NV knows they're the only game in town, and they're really only going to compete with themselves, they don't really care about AMD and even less so Intel, regardless of what they do with pricing.
As someone who owned nearly every generation of Nvidia card from the FX5800 to the 1070ti, im never buying another card from them. They adjusted their prices of the 40 series to match what was going on during the GPU shortage. AMD followed suit but atleast they aren't shortening the life span on their cards or creating tech that only lasts 1 generation. You can also get about 10% more performance for the same money from an AMD card.

RDNA3 did have a hardware fault in the MCUs that they couldn't fix before release but I've been told this has been fixed. It's referred to as RDNA3.5 internally but, as far as I'm aware, it may not be released. If it is it will be released as a 50 series with a name like the 7950xtx. But from what I've heard AMD is just going straight to RDNA4. They aren't going to release a 5090 competitor because their giant chips are all going to AI.

However, with the MCU issue fixed it looks like their "mid-range" GPUs will give you 4080 level of performance. Which, unless you want to use raytracing at 200+ fps is fine. And when I say midrange I mean they are going to release 8800/8700 cards, we just aren't going to be seeing an 8900xtx/xt.

Also, for anyone reading this post, AMD is planning a fairly significant price drop in February as a response to the super series on everything but the 7600 and the 7900xtx. They already milked the holiday sales market. Were talking 7900xt@700. The 7900xtx is expected to stay high because it's popular with AI developers looking to save money

Back