TechSpot

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz Upgrade (Worthwhile > AMD 4000+) ?

By mrchu
Nov 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade? I'm looking for systemwide performance increase....in terms of media playback, OS use and games...I currently have an AMD 4000+ so would a 1.86 core2 be significantly better?

thanks!
  2. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

You will see a performance boost, but just don't expect to go from a Volkswagen to a Porsche.
    The Duo Core processors, as well as the AMD AM2 processors are built for multi-tasking abilities. Don't get me wrong, you'll definitely get a "speed boost" by upgrading from a single core processor to a dual core, but where these processors really shine is multi tasking abilities. You'll be able to have multiple programs open and operating at the same time without a degredation of processing lag and a significant boost in gaming, but I think that most people think that they're going to get double the performance just because they are dual cores.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.