TechSpot

Intel Core 2 Duo & Intel Core i7

By 1bellb
Sep 24, 2009
  1. Hi, I am wanting to buy a new laptop but I have got stuck between 2 different laptops processors.
    Laptop One - has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
    and
    Laptop Two - has an Intel Core i7 1.60GHz.
    Now I know that i7 is basically Quad but with it been 1.60GHz does this mean that it is slower than the Core 2 Duo, about the same speed or Faster.
    Please could someone advise because I haven't really researched on the i7 Processors before.
    Thanks For Reading
    Ben

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The i7 will be faster and better, but they not yet have all the kinks out. Were it me, I would wait six weeks for all the reports and reviews to come in. As it is, you will love the Core 2 Duo... it is well tested and reports are generally very good.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The i7 laptop will be faster, even with the lower clock speed. But it will also run hotter and consume more power (meaning poorer battery life) compared to the Core 2 Duo laptop. For most applications, the Core 2 laptop should be fine.

If you are going to do a lot of content creation using software like Photoshop, Maya or 3DSMax, then the i7 laptop will be a better choice. I would recommend a desktop as the best choice for the latter however; it would work out cheaper and give you the best results IMO.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.