Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reake

Hello, my name is Miguel and I've been trying to underclock for quite some time now.
I've been close but I don't know why but I just crash or freeze ;/, I've used SetFSB. ( and used PLL number CV174CPAG, and SetFSB indicates that my MhZ has lowered, but shortly after, I just freeze.) I've tried using other CV PLL's and some of them let me lower the flier but my MhZ stays the same. I'd really like to underclock so if anyone can help me, please do.

Chipset: Intel - P35\G33\G31
Southbridge: Intel 82801IR (ICH9R)

you shouldn't need to underclock your processor at all... especially with software. what is the exact model of your motherboard and what RAM are you using?

Why are you trying to underclock your CPU? I think the best way is to use BIOS.

well the best way is the BIOS, but he shouldn't need to adjust the FSB at all.

download CPU-Z if you need to find the motherboard model and RAM

I want to underclock ._.
Mobo model is Benicia
and ram? I have 4 gigs of ram? O_O. ( if found out ram by right clicking properties on My Computer" oh yeah and running on windows vista x64 bit.
my bios is locked

omg wow I cant post a link....i took a screenshot.
PEGATRON CORPERATION, but i dont want to OVERclock, I WANT to UNDERclock

fdfdf.jpg

The article was merely a source relating to your locked BIOS issue...

I guess the board is considered the Benicia v1.01 but I can't find a lot of information on it. You will need to find a way to unlock the BIOS because overclocking and underclocking is typically not a good idea with software, and may not even work at all with the BIOS locked up. My guess is that your board was specifically designed to keep people from tampering with settings, in which you'd be out of luck I'm afraid.

One lingering question remains though... why are you trying to underclock the Q6600? You haven't given a reason for wanting to perform such a pointless thing.

He won't answer that question... so I'm guessing he's just doing it for fun considering there is no practical reason.

Yeah if you can oc you should be able to uc, BUT what why are you trying to underclock anyway?
He won't answer that question... so I'm guessing he's just doing it for fun considering there is no practical reason.
I'm sure if he told you, he'd have to kill you.

Although, underclocking would do away with some heat, I suggested this to someone who wanted to run a fanless HSF with a quad in a HTPC. Who knew one of these things would just crap out if you tried. I also suggested a 65 watt dual core for this purpose, meh....

Yes I know, "fanless HSF", is an oxymoron, thank you very much.

lol if you are having heat issues buying a better cooler is 10x more practical than underclocking your CPU. there are some pretty quiet fans on the market these days so there really isn't any reason you need to underclock anything. period.

Yeah, it basically just is for fun. I just want to try it, is there something wrong with trying it?

Yes and no... I mean if you really wanted to underclock it that's fine, it's your processor. However if you are experiencing problems it's better to just leave it be. There's really no telling what may happen and although it's not as dangerous as overclocking you can still damage the CPU if you're not careful.

I really want to underclock ._.
So, then, with some BIOS, Notably "Award-Phoenix" all you need is to drop the CPU multiplier below stock. If a CPU has a locked multiplier, you won't be able move it up past the stock number, but you will be able to lower it. If this system isn't stable this way, then perhaps you could try lowering the memory frequency and tightening up the memory timings.

I have a Gigabyte P445 board with an Intel E7300 C2D (2.66 Ghz). The multiplier in the board somehow reset itself (to 8.0), and this CPU plopped along happily @ 2.2GHz..

I thought to myself, "this is cute and all that, but I want the speed I paid for", and reset the BIOS, to the stock multiplier of 10.0

having said that, there are better ways to have fun then to overclock your quad core processor :haha:

my Q6600 runs 3.2Ghz 24/7 and i wouldn't have it any other way

having said that, there are better ways to have fun then to overclock your quad core processor :haha:

my Q6600 runs 3.2Ghz 24/7 and i wouldn't have it any other way
I think that what you've said here is not exactly what you meant...(!) or (?)

yea i meant underclock... lol

i'm just so not used to seeing that word, it practically doesn't exist in my vocabulary :)

You can download PC Wizard to see more informations about your BIOS and motherboard. Then when you find BIOS model, search on Google how to unlock your BIOS.

...or you can give me your processor, and ill give you mine (1.81GHz) :D...yeeaahhh...thats how you underclock...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back