Intel Core i7 920 temperature issue

8eios

Hi there, I have the quad core i7 920 cpu on a gigabyte ex58-ud5 mobo and 6gb ddr3 ram. the problem is that even under small loads the cpu temperature rises and the mobo starts beeping (a very annoying sound which initially starts as short beeps and eventually - if I don't quit the application - it becomes a continuous sound similar to a dead man's cardiogram :p). everest shows that I have a multi cpu with 8 cores as seen in the attached image. iddle temp is about 40C-100F, I use the stock fan which seems pretty clean. any suggestions on what causes the temperature to rise? thanks very much in advance!!

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 3
did you install the cooler yourself?
what thermal paste are you using?
did you ensure that the cooler is seated properly?
did you attempt to reseat the cooler and apply fresh thermal paste?

yes, i installed the cooler myself. the thermal paste is the standard which comes with the cooler. if i remember well the paste is in the form of a sticker and the cooler is seated properly. i don;t think that this is the problem since i have the pc for 1 and a half year and i only started having this issue tha last 2 months.

can you check your cpu voltages (vcore)?
when the beeping starts is you system still running? does it crash at all?
are there voltage phase indicator led's on your motherboard? which are they showing normally and does it change when the beeping starts?
how high does the cpu temperature rise?
what psu do you have installed in your system?

I hope the voltages you ask are those shown in the attached picture. when beeping starts system keeps working fine with no crashes at all. the mobo integrated 2 digit display always shows FF. the rest leds on the mobo lighten only during boot. the iddle temperature is aroung 40-41C. During beeping is usually around 67+C. I have a tagan piperock series tg-600bz 600w psu. the case is the coolermaster cosmos 1000. all the case stock fans are working and all case filters are cleaned. however I noticed that during continuous beeping opening the case results in temperature drop and the beeping stops being continuous. what I think is strange is that sometimes I play pes11 or counter strike source without beeping (not always though, only sometimes) but when I use lighter applications such as farmville in fb beeping always starts after a few minutes. does this make sense?

Attachments

• voltages.jpg
    voltages.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 2
the voltage looks good so far. i assume you took that picture while your system was running normal. it also looks like the temperatures are rather in the late 40's and touching the 50's.

yes it is a strange. are you sure you have located the right source of the beeping?
i would also suspect your psu or gpu to be possible sources.

the cosmos is a nice case and one of my personal favorites. if everything is hooked up properly then heat inside shouldn't be much of a concern.

which video card are you running.

does the system performance in anyway change when the beeping starts?

the picture was taken a few minutes after the beeping stopped. i think the mobo is by default set to start beeping at 60C. everytime beeping starts everest shows high cpu temperature so i'm convinced it's the cpu but i don't know the cause of the problem. could it be a driver conflict or something like that? the system performance isn't affected. for the record i have an nvidia asus 8800gs and running windows 7 ultimate.

it sounds more hardware related then software related so i doubt it is a driver.
does the motherboard temperature go up as well as the northbridge temperature.

if your cpu is overheating it will start to throttle and you would feel that by your system studdering or seeming sluggish. this should also not occur until about 100 degrees which is Tmax.
so with being in the 60's you are just fine.

if your northbridge is getting to hot that could cause beeping too and the northbridge temperature should not exceed 65 degrees.

so you reccomend it would be ok to raise the mobo beeping limit to 75C in order to avoid that awful noise?

you would avoid the noise but not the overheating issue.
there are 2-3 temperature diods on the motherboard itself, they are independent.
even if your cpu temperature is going up and remains in save range, your northbridge might not.

in your last voltages.jpg you can see the motherboard diods temp just above the cpu temps and the northbridge temp just below the cpu temps.

try to monitor or record those and recreate your beeping scenario. both should remain below 65 degrees.

if at all possible do a visual inspection of your VRM heatsinks and feel them while the system is running. be careful as they can get quiet hot. the VRM heatsing are usually separate from the main motherboard heatsink and located on one or two side of the cpu socket. in your case i believe 2 sides.

Back