Intel Core i9-13900K Review: Hot and Hungry

Fantastic review. Shame the same can't be said for the Intel part. How adding more of those "efficient" e cores led to this is quite a mystery.

Intel (and the whole industry frankly) needs to stop going balls to the wall on out of box clocks. Same for AMD, it's 65 watt results were far more impressive then 170 watt was, but Intel has seriously lost the plot of it thinks a CPU pulling this much juice is the right way forward. What the hell are they going to do next year?

Thank goodness for the GOAT, the 5800x3d.

edit: seriously that power scaling is hot garbage. What happened to intels big.little design saving power BS? When AMD does near twice the performance per watt without “e” cores you know you screwed up.

Last edited:
Thank you techspot for the work & reviews....

Seems like the moral of the story is, that the Ryzen 7700x is the chip to get if you are a Gamer and don't care about productivity.

Buying anything Intel right now makes zero sense, because it's all EOL as a new socket is coming in just 8 months.

Thank you techspot for the work & reviews....

Seems like the moral of the story is, that the Ryzen 7700x is the chip to get if you are a Gamer and don't care about productivity.

Buying anything Intel right now makes zero sense, because it's all EOL as a new socket is coming in just 8 months.
Not sure how you got that conclusion when the 5800x3d exists

Anyone else notice the small variance between 1080p numbers and 1440p?

The 4090 is such a monster that these TOP of the line CPU’s are seen as a bottleneck.

Pretty cool

I was hoping a more refined design from intel this round. Seeing a CPU suffering from throttling in 2022 is disappointing. TJ Max in 20 seconds, really intel? This chip performs barely better than the 12900k and trades blow with AMD's 7700x in games which is a cheaper CPU. I hope at least 12700 and 12600 perform good and don't suffer from this throttling issue.

This is one crazy world we live in. According to TPU this Cpu draw is 388W and 117C with limits disabled. Mix a 4090 in the same case with this beast and you will have a small furnace.
850-1000W in the same small case.

Call me crazy, but I refuse to believe this is the future of PC parts.

Thanks for the review.

Am really curious how large the ST / gaming performance difference is between the 13900K and 13600K / 13700K.

The 13900K seems a bit pointless to get - if you want it for gaming, you have to pay for the 16 e cores that do little for you besides providing additional cache and heat dissipation area.
For MT workloads it‘s imho also not the CPU to get as the 7950X is far better for this all things considered.

Really, Intel should imho have spent some of the area to add the extra eight e cores for cache instead and otherwise left it at the 12900K‘s 8+8 configuration.

Interresting that only you and techpowerup seem to disagree with every other review out there about the cbr23 numbers. Computerbase / guru3d / club386 / igorslab has the 13900k at 38k-39k at stock 253w. Weird...

I was hoping a more refined design from intel this round. Seeing a CPU suffering from throttling in 2022 is disappointing. TJ Max in 20 seconds, really intel? This chip performs barely better than the 12900k and trades blow with AMD's 7700x in games which is a cheaper CPU. I hope at least 12700 and 12600 perform good and don't suffer from this throttling issue.

That's 20 seconds with an absolutely MASSIVE water cooler.

300 watt cpu means you can't even use a nh-d15 air cooler with this!

"As you can see from 65w up to around 300 watts we see fairly consistent scaling, with the package power maxing out at just why of 300 watts."

But WHY oh WHY?!
I'm not SHY to say you got a spelling mistake!

These are laptop levels of throttling. Imagine having a regular air cooler.

They wanted to go for the crown and they failed but this doesn't have to reflect on what the whole 13th gen will look like. If the rest of the lineup is this bad, boy, Intel Arc and Intel 13th gen will make for some dog **** builds.

Interresting that only you and techpowerup seem to disagree with every other review out there about the cbr23 numbers. Computerbase / guru3d / club386 / igorslab has the 13900k at 38k-39k at stock 253w. Weird...
It's worth noting that the other sites are using different motherboards to us:

Computerbase - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
Guru3D - ASUS ROG Maxiumus Extreme
club386 - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
igorsLAB - MSI MEG Z690 Ace
TechPowerUp - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
TechSpot - Gigabyte Aorus Master

Plus different coolers, different RAM, different graphics cards. Even a CPU-focused benchmark like Cinebench, little things can easily add up.

It's worth noting that the other sites are using different motherboards to us:

Computerbase - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
Guru3D - ASUS ROG Maxiumus Extreme
club386 - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
igorsLAB - MSI MEG Z690 Ace
TechPowerUp - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
TechSpot - Gigabyte Aorus Master

Plus different coolers, different RAM, different graphics cards. Even a CPU-focused benchmark like Cinebench, little things can easily add up.
Yeah but most of them seem to agree, except you and techpowerup. And we are not talking margin of error here, the difference is huge. The 13900k @ your 125w limit is slower than a 12900k @ 125w in CBR23. That just doesn't make sense

Thanks for another excellent review Steven!

Knew you wouldnt let us down, especially with Toms headline for their review, which you would believe that the Intel part is at a minimum 50% faster than the fastest Ryzen CPU.

That said, lets check a couple of items:

That means, when factoring the entire system load, the 13900K consumed almost 40% more power than the 7950X, which isn't great given it was also slower (around 12% slower in this test). So while the 12900K was pretty ugly when it came to power use, the 13900K is downright hideous.

At this point, Intel should drop x64 and start making ARM CPUS. LOL

The 12900K was already a bit ridiculous in our opinion, so we guess that makes the 13900K completely beyond absurd.

Fixed it a bit for you.

But wait, there's still hope. The Core i7-13700K and Core i5-13600K might make far more sense and we'll be checking out those parts over the next few days.

And we keep giving Intel free passes, they deserve to simply die.

the 13900K remained dominant thanks to the power of the RTX 4090

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Intel is in damage control mode, I think they're looking to overtake AMD on performance "AT ANY COST" even making PC cases melt like icecream in desert. They failed. What a shame.. I hope Intel will come back with a new CPU soon and make a big leap forward, the core arch is definitly dead..

Back