Intel demos wireless charging proof of concept for keyboard, phone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel showed off a couple of new inductive charging options for keyboards and smartphones at Computex. Both demos were more a proof of concept than anything but the latter of the two certainly has a of promise.

The unnamed All-in-One concept PC won’t actually ever make it to production but it does showcase some pretty nifty features. In theory, the unit would ship with a special wireless keyboard that could be rejuiced through inductive charging. The base of the all-in-one is where the magic happens; simply slide the keyboard next to the base when you are done using it and the system will start charging it automatically.

Perhaps even cooler than the all-in-one charging option is the ability to essentially do the same thing with an Ultrabook. Intel demonstrated this with a specially-equipped Acer Asipre notebook that had a small charging pad on the right side. A Samsung handset with similar equipment was then placed next to the computer and voila, the phone started charging right away just as it would through a traditional wired charger.

Android Police isn’t terribly impressed by the hardware used for the latter demo, however. As they point out, Intel used an “ancient” Samsung Fascinate handset and with the added charging system introducing an odd bump on the left side of the phone, it’s now “uglier” too.

Either way, it’s a pretty nifty idea and would result in one less cable that has to be toted around in your laptop bag. Here’s to hoping we eventually see this reach the consumer one day and maybe Intel could eventually integrate the handset-side charging component inside the phone.

Permalink to story.

Power a wireless keyboard from 5 feet away, then I'll be impressed. Since you need the charging pad to use it I'd say it's still far away from wireless. It might not be connected to it directly but it's still an extra cable laying around on my computer desk. I'd rather just change the batteries in my keyboard every three months.

@Adhmuz, I wouldn't say this is old tech and what are you trying to imply about Intel?

interesting how @ the home screen, the menu type thing pops up. lol

Yeah, I'm with yRaz. While a cool idea, its basically no different than having to plug something in.

Just because instead of a wire that plugs in you have to make physical contact, doesn't really change things practically at this level.

Thank you, Intel. Could you, please also offer a version that uses a car battery - I found this an awfully practical on-the-go solution.

Back