TechSpot

Intel details three smartphone-bound Medfield chips

By Jos
Feb 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel offered a glimpse at its plans for the smartphone market today at MWC and shared some details on three different Atom chips destined for handsets in 2012. The first…

Read the whole story

2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 990   +99

I'm actually excited to see where this goes.

3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

This is cool. I like competition in technology. I wonder if these processors will be up to thye task for low power Windows 8 Intel tablets, or will intel have some other stuff out in time for Windows 8 launch... are these even up to the task of running the windows desktop app (of course no major games) I guess it all depend on just how optimized Windows 8 is for low power devices.

4. I'd actually prefer Windows 8 tablets running the latest Ivy Bridge Core i5 - i7 processors. If I can have a tablet like that which can run Crysis at low settings, then I'll be very happy. Obviously Crysis isn't going to be the main reason I get a Windows 8 tablet, but just in case I do play games, I want to know that I'm not severely limited and set back 10 years in terms of the games I can play.

5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

Hot on the heels of Orange deal, ZTE and Lava are going for Intel's SoC according to Anand.

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +318

Well competition is good, ARM might start ramping up R&D and the race will be on!

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

Yup, but I wouldn't bet on ARM winning the race anymore, Intel have an edge when it comes to resources for R&D + finances, but obviously it is a long race so enjoy the ride and see how things unfold, and who gets where in years to come. :)

8. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I'd like to see a Cortex A15 running as well. I will say the the processor in the video looked beautiful. To be able to run Android smoothly, on 2.3 no less, is an accomplishment on it's own, the inefficient pig that it seems to be.

9. Intel has is a gigantic edge with leading manufacturing technology and it's scale/cost - architecture (ARM vs x86) does not matter that much - but even then, x86 may lure more current PC developers on it's platform - ARM must be really scared now ,,,

10. Who the hell is Lava? Sounds like intel is partnering with a low grade manufacturer out of desperation. It might work as negative publicity for their chip. Perception might lead Indian market to believe that Intel goes into low grade phones.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.