TechSpot

Intel finds design flaw in Sandy Bridge chipset

By Jos
Jan 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has warned of a flaw with the 6 Series chipset, code-named Cougar Point, that accompanies its latest Sandy Bridge processors, which gradually degrades the performance of the SATA ports over time and thus affects the speed of hard drives and optical drives. In a statement put out this morning, the company attributed the problem to a design issue and said it expects the cost to repair and replace the chip to be around $700 million -- a recall notice should follow soon.

Read the whole story

2. brianmsu

brianmsu TS Rookie Posts: 27

ho hum looks like i'll have to wait til april

3. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well it's nice to know they aren't trying to pass it off as something like a software issue or whatever.

*wink wink*

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

So I take it this is a material / manufacturing issue rather than an architectural issue?

5. princeton

I think so. Because the statement on their site says that it was only chipsets manufactured after...I think it was January 9.

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Good to know this seems to be more of a QC issue than a design flaw. Have to wonder if it was a real breakdown on the manufacturing side, or if it was missed in the mad dash to hit the market hard and steal AMD's Fusion thunder?

7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Hope they will buy me some thermal paste too for reseating my H50 cooler after switching the motherboard out :S

8. This mean, more time for AMD Bulldozer ?

9. ... then, I have to wait for 16-core Atom processor!
    :)

10. princeton

Isn't the thermal paste on the h50 pre applied? Sorry to hear you'll have to replace it, factory applied is as evenly spread as it gets.

11. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 158

lol, Fusion is in no way a threat to desktop SB chips. silly rabbit

12. Jurassic4096

you cheapskate, get some alcohol, clean that *****, and take $5 and buy some better thermal that aint only good for one use.

13. mikeusru

mikeusru TS Rookie Posts: 48

Wait so does this mean i'll have to replace the new p67 motherboard i just bought? and does that mean i'll have to reinstall windows again?

14. Jurassic4096

i almost bought the ASUS P67 Deluxe and 2600K today. Thank you TechSpot!!!
    Coolermaster Gold 1000w and GTX 570 is still on!

15. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

The way it reads, if you are in possession of a P67, it's faulty. If they issue you the same motherboard you should not have to. I believe the hardware identifiers will be the same.

16. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

As others have said, at least Intel have stood up to the mark and are prepared to take the financial hit to keep there reputation.

I do wonder if it could have been avoided however.

17. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

"I do wonder if it could have been avoided however."

That's hard to say. I work right next to our QA department and it seems like no matter how long or extensive the testing, something always gets through. And of course, we all know how buggy (in general) software releases are no matter how much they test. There's no way they can account for every single hardware/OS configuration in the world when testing software. Whether hardware or software, sometimes you just gotta release it to the masses and keep your fingers crossed that if any bugs show up they'll be quick fixes for the problem.

I give props to Intel for owning up to as soon as they could and taking immediate corrective steps.

18. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

By the sound of things, degradation ranges between 5% for casual users to 15% for heavier users. At least Intel came out with it now, as opposed to sitting on it and hoping nobody notices.

If I were in possession of a P67 board, I'd probably wait a while before replacing my 'faulty' board; everyone's going to be madly returning their boards. Unless you're a power user that needs all the speed you can get, this problem isn't that terrible.

19. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

Late Feb for updated chipsets??? Man, that blows. I was going to buy my new rig this week. I hate waiting!!!

20. I'm not worried about my P67 board since in 3 yrs. I'll deffinately have a different board anyway

21. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Looks like newegg has stopped selling the Sandy Bridge processors along with Gigabyte 1155 motherboards. Just saw this article on TechReport Gigabyte, Newegg stop selling Sandy Bridge mobos. Did a quick check on newegg and sure enough the Sandy Bridge processors and Gigabyte motherboards have been pulled.

22. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Orange and Pear would never do that. * annoying laugh >:3*

23. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

24. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Excellent news that they found it and didn't sweep stuff like this under the rug. God forbid a company releases a defective product and didn't do anything but bump up the warranty to 3 years.

25. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

The issue may be more serious than Intel is willing to admit or it may be simply what the company has stated in its press release. Either way, this gives more time to plan my next PC upgrade.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.