TechSpot

Intel: Haswell-based Ultrabooks starting at $599 by holiday season

By Jos
Mar 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. We’ve been hearing about cheaper ultrabooks ever since Intel begun pushing the category almost two years ago. The first wave of devices mostly failed to adhere to the proposed $1,000 price point, and while things have improved ever since, we’ve...

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 880   +231

I don't see sales getting any better.
    With the power you get in a iPad or simple Kindle Fire now, the laptop would need to more then make up for its price. Haswell at the heart, SSD, backlit keyboard, above average speakers (I love the 2.1 JBL's and subwoofer in my XPS) nothing less then 900p, plethora of plugins, excellent battery life, sexy design, etc etc etc.
    Just my .02.

3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 278   +48

Yep, I also love the 2.1 JBL's of my XPS 15; I'm the one in charge of the playlist when working at college on projects. I don't have SSD on mine but is fine anyway to me.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,020   +913

The only way UltraBooks will succeed is if they make the minimum requirements: At least 8 hours of battery and an SSD. This is the only way they can compete with Apple. No one wants to spend $1500 on a PC that is "weaker" than a MBP.

5. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

For $1500 I would get a workstation class laptop. For $1000 I would get an Asus n56vz or Dell XPS which are multimedia/light gaming laptops. For under $1000, I would buy a business laptop with a good processor minus the dedicated graphics card. For $600 I might as well just get an iPad for $100 less and has similar processing power.

6. JC713

Not really, an i3 vs an apple A6?

7. Sorry Sir, if you have a look at wikipedia, it is mentioned in there that minimum battery life for haswell ultrabooks is 9 hours and NOT 5 hour. I heard this from Intel executives that ultrabooks with haswell will have battery for a [working] day or 13 hours, too.

Thanks!

8. JC713

9 hours with windows 8, imagine that number with Windows blue. Maybe that could become a 10 at least.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.