Intel Haswell-E enthusiast chip to carry eight cores and support DDR4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel’s Haswell processor may not have delivered a ton of performance improvements over Ivy Bridge but most hardcore enthusiasts were probably willing to look past that as they knew Haswell-E was in the pipeline. The platform is still a ways off as we’re awaiting the launch of Ivy Bridge-E later this year but here’s some of what users can look forward to in 2014.

For starters, Intel will use Haswell-E to launch an eight core desktop CPU for the first time. Specifically, users will have their choice of six or eight core chips with up to 20MB of L3 cache. With Hyper Threading, we’re looking at 16 logical cores with a maximum TDP somewhere in the range of 130W to 140W. The chips will be built using Intel’s second generation 22nm Hi-k process.

intel haswell-e ddr4 x99 pch

Another key feature will be the use of DDR4 memory clocked up to 2133MHz which could result in bandwidth increases of nearly 50 percent compared to triple-channel configurations. Other speed steppings include 1333MHz, 1600MHz and 1866MHz, we’re told.

The Wellsburg chipset will support up to six UBS 3.0 ports, eight USB 2.0 ports and up to 10 SATA 6Gbps ports – plenty of ports for most users. Naturally, of course, there’s also a new socket in play – LGA 2011-3. It carries the same ball pattern pitch and dimensions as the original LGA 2011 but the layout is different. Intel says this design is more efficient and easier to handle.

Overall performance should be somewhere between 33 to 50 percent better than the upcoming Ivy Bridge-E platform which, if you’ve been paying attention to processor releases lately, is a colossal jump. It could be just the chip you’re waiting for to really kick your system up a notch but you’d better start saving now as I’m pretty confident it won’t be cheap.

Permalink to story.

Seems that they are having a really hard time to improve their technology and in order to satisfy the customers and make profit they need a cheap excuse to stay on bussiness ....so they increase the cores....why they didnt do it before?even at 6 cores.

I have really big hopes on AMD

Any clue when will 6 cores become mainstream on intel desktop normal chips or octo core ;S want them so bad

Seems that they are having a really hard time to improve their technology and in order to satisfy the customers and make profit they need a cheap excuse to stay on bussiness ....so they increase the cores....why they didnt do it before?even at 6 cores.

Haha, dont hold your breath ON.

20MB Cache, 16 total threads, DDR4 and Intel's superior architecture while only being 22nm? Oh my. Can we call it an i9? Hehe.

After 2 years of sandy bridge 2600k, I expected more out of the current i7 Haswell chip. This Haswell E is what Haswell should have been for the desktop. Sticking with my 2600k @ 4.5 until the E version.

After 2 years of sandy bridge 2600k, I expected more out of the current i7 Haswell chip. This Haswell E is what Haswell should have been for the desktop. Sticking with my 2600k @ 4.5 until the E version.
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
I wonder how long it will take Intel or AMD to double this passmark score, for the same $300 price tag? Until this time passes, I will be happy with my 2600K.

Dito...with my 2700k at 5.5GHz (actively cooled)....I feel good to stay with that probably for the next 3-4 years.

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
I wonder how long it will take Intel or AMD to double this passmark score, for the same $300 price tag? Until this time passes, I will be happy with my 2600K.
Haswell was never intented to be a major upgrade, it concentrated on power savings performance. Heck, my 930 @ 4.0Ghz 24/7 may not keep up with some isolated benchmarks but for pushing games its right there with the best of them. I have no reason to upgrade unless I get 40%+, or double the performance.
Going from 4 cores/8 threads and 12MB cache to 8 cores/16 threads and 20MB cache?
Now were talking :D
Sandy, Ivy and Haswell are, for the most part, just bumps in clock speed (besides the 3D transistors). After 4.0GHz is just for show anyways. I was tempted to get a chip that goes over 5.0Ghz but after seeing countless benchmarks showing no real difference past 4.0Ghz I am still happily waiting.

I'm going to start saving now for a full build when this comes out. It will be a monster but I'll probably stop at the slower 8 core 16 thread chip ($500-600) instead of the top. Then I'll include as many GPUs as I can and see if that machine lasts as long as my last machine has. I really didn't expect to be sitting on this 2600k so long.

So the 8Core/20MB cache DDR4 version will be available for 2011 socket? I am stuck with AMD 555 BE and really need to upgrade ^^ Was going to go with 4770k but now I am not sure whether to stick with 4560k or 2500k (I will be video editing but as long as I can record at 30fps+ I could not care more how long the render timer is).

That said, if I hold of upgrading Id probably get the top end Haswell-E setup since by then I should be able to gather some nice funds for it ^^

Damn them choices *head explodes*

I'm going to start saving now for a full build when this comes out. It will be a monster but I'll probably stop at the slower 8 core 16 thread chip ($500-600) instead of the top. Then I'll include as many GPUs as I can and see if that machine lasts as long as my last machine has. I really didn't expect to be sitting on this 2600k so long.

How long have you had 2600k for? Since it's release?

A little after launch - mid 2011. I thought I'd be all over the IB but then I decided to wait for Haswell. Now it looks like Haswell-E will be my next upgrade instead.

Oh sweet. I am tearing my hair out with my setup, it plays the games I mostly play just fine but anything like BF3 it just tears the CPU up, even after OCing it.

Another case of guest trolling, Intel already has 6 cores on current extreme, Haswell-E with 8 cores is an extreme with 2 more cores than the current extreme, I don't see your point, they're premium price anyway. AMD is competing with mainstream i5s, not even say Haswell i7s.

Again, maintaining fabrication process (22 nm), clock speeds and core numbers and still getting up to 10% increases in performance is a HUGE effort and not what you call "hard time to improve their technology"... unless you're talking about AMD trying to compensate with 8 cores [even that way I'm considering -depending on how much I save until the beginning of my vacations- to upgrade to FX-8350 or Haswell i5 -and don't try to lure me, that decision is just up to the money I get].

I hope they bring out the haswell-e chips the same way as the original 1336 i7's, could get a 6 core one for cheaper like I did with my 950 and then overclock it

Finally. I think Intel will move the gamer oriented focus to the Extreme line rather than the K series CPUs.

Fanboy post *cough* lol.

[FONT=Arial]My post was neutral and fact, only a AMD fanboy would call it it fanboy post. Personally I like both but acknowledge Intel is king. Anyone who gets offended by facts should replenish their supply of huggies. :) [/FONT]

As people above, I'll wait and see if this is worthy of a full rebuild from my i7 920.. :)
Is it finally time? My rig is like Battlestar Galactica, its old as dirt but still damn good!

[FONT=Arial]My post was neutral and fact, only a AMD fanboy would call it it fanboy post. Personally I like both but acknowledge Intel is king. Anyone who gets offended by facts should replenish their supply of huggies. :) [/FONT]

Is it finally time? My rig is like Battlestar Galactica, its old as dirt but still damn good!

Haha I was just saying, when you said "superior architecture", I thought it was a fanboy post xD. I personally have never really owned many AMD CPUs, so I dont think I am a fanboy.

Another socket, another md. Guess I'm stuck with the 3930 for a while. Could be worse.

Back