Intel HD 3000 GPU question

Schmutz

using 2600K with Intel HD3000 integrated GPU and ASROCK EXTREME4 Motherboard

- also using 2x nvidia GTX 560ti GPU

PROBLEM:

When I connect a display to the motherboards DVI/HDMI port the intel HD3000 GPU seems to take "priority". Games will run sluggish like the 560ti GPU's are not being used at all. I realise that I could use another port in my GPUs but that is not relevant to my question.

Is it possible to use the motherboards DVI/HDMI port and also utilise the GPUs or will they always be disabled in this case?

I expect the solution might be something simple but I haven't found it. Latest GPU/Lucid Virtu drivers.

Is it possible to use the motherboards DVI/HDMI port and also utilise the GPUs or will they always be disabled in this case?

Why would you want to do this anyway? Do your GPUs not have the DVI/HDMI connections you want?

You can only use the GPU you are connected to. So if you connect your monitor to the 560ti connector, that's the output you will see and similarly if you connect to the motherboard's built in video connector, you will get the onboard (HD3000) graphics output.

You can only use the GPU you are connected to. So if you connect your monitor to the 560ti connector, that's the output you will see and similarly if you connect to the motherboard's built in video connector, you will get the onboard (HD3000) graphics output.

I think he's referring to Virtu. You can utilize the igpu for encoding which will be much faster than a discrete card. You do want to use the video output from your mobo but you need to go into your BIOS and enable Virtu. When you open a game up your 560 will kick in. Also make sure the Virtu control panel is installed first.

That is interesting Buckshot but I do not believe that the 560's horsepower can be utilised like you have said (routed through the integrated GPU) - even after enabling Virtu in the BIOS. I have just received the following statement on another forum where I have asked the same question:

"One of the features of the Z68 chipset is that you can run multiple moniters from both the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) and the dedicated video card. With a board like the Intel® DZ68BD I can have 3 moniters+ running from two off the dedicated card and one from the IGP/board. So you want to take advantage of the 560ti you need to have the monitor plugged into that port. With LucidLogix Virtu software it can switch between the IGP and dedicated but always being routed through the dedicated card. I hope that this answers your questions. "

My understanding;

the IGP performance CAN be routed through the 560ti/discrete GPU

the 560ti performance CAN'T be routed through the IGP

Is this correct?

The conventional way:

CPU --> IGP --> MOBO --> Monitor

But you only get the IGP performance. GPU horsepower will not be utilized

that's my understanding. Sorry if there is a contradiction in there somewhere that I have overlooked, I'm the guy asking questions though haha. It would be ideal if I can connect a monitor to the motherboard and get performance from my GPU (routed through the IGP) but it doesn't seem possible.

I have a feature in my mobo that allows this (hybrid sli, m3nht deluxe) Im Plugged in to integrated gpu socket, the system will switch from intergrated gpu to aftermarket gpus depending upon the horsepower required, There is a small drop in performance though. and a big saving in power consumption.

It would be ideal if I can connect a monitor to the motherboard and get performance from my GPU (routed through the IGP) but it doesn't seem possible.
As I understand it, you can. There are 2 modes in virtu, i-Mode (display connected to integrated GPU output) and d-Mode (display connected to discrete GPU output). Now as far as them working, probably not....

KNOWN VIRTU ISSUES

i-mode
-FRAPS may cause instability of some 3D benchmarks, even when applied without Virtu solution. DO NOT run benchmarks with FRAPS
-3DMark Vantage may crash with FRAPS
-HAWX benchmark may suffer from micro-stuttering when FRAPS is on
-Virtu control panel may show some artifacts when system’s desktop background is configured to Windows Classic theme.
-When Dual GPU optimization (SLI/Crossfire) is enabled, performance may stay unaffected.

d-Mode (display connected to discrete GPU output)
-If two discrete GPU are installed, but SLI/Crossfire is not enabled, then transcoding will not use Intel QuickSync

All issues mentioned above will be fixed in next releases.

As im sure you already know, the purpose of using the iGPU alongside the dGPU in Virtu is primarily to take advantage of the iGPU's strengths: QuickSync (Intel's blazing fast hardware H.264 encoder), and lower desktop power usage. For rendering, games, etc, the iGPU isn't doing anything else for you.

Back