Intel investing up to $8 billion in 22nm chips, creating US jobs

Emil

Staff

Intel has announced plans to invest between $6 billion and $8 billion on its next-generation 22nm manufacturing process across several existing US factories in Arizona (Fab 12 and Fab 32) and Oregon (D1C and D1D), along with construction of a new development fabrication plant in Oregon (D1X, to open in 2013). The projects will support 6,000 to 8,000 construction jobs and result in 800 to 1,000 new permanent tech jobs.

"Today's announcement reflects the next tranche of the continued advancement of Moore's Law and a further commitment to invest in the future of Intel and America," Intel president and chief executive officer Paul Otellini said in a statement. "The most immediate impact of our multi-billion-dollar investment will be the thousands of jobs associated with building a new fab and upgrading four others, and the high-wage, high-tech manufacturing jobs that follow." While Intel generates approximately three quarters of its revenues overseas, it maintains three quarters of its microprocessor manufacturing in the US.

Intel's first 22nm microprocessors, codenamed Ivy Bridge, will hit production in late 2011. The company hopes they will further boost performance levels and power efficiency, enable sleeker device designs, and result in longer battery life, all at a lower cost.

Permalink to story.

Good place to work! Arizona should be beach front property when California and Baja get done splitting off from the continent.

"While Intel generates approximately three quarters of its revenues overseas, it maintains three quarters of its microprocessor manufacturing in the US." - is this part true? I didn't know that they made this many of their CPU's in North America. I honestly was going to guess that more over-seas manufacturing was being done than state-side.

Moore's law is a very interesting trend. With that trend keeping up I'm sure the trend of AMD having nothing to compete in the high end sector will remain as well. I wonder when we will hit 16nm production. It doesn't seem that far away.

I'm glad to hear intel does alot of manufacturing in North America instead of outsourcing to companies like Foxconn, AKA a company that makes clear human rights violations every day. Glad to know intel wont be following a certain Cupertino company.

Good place to work! Arizona should be beach front property when California and Baja get done splitting off from the continent.
Refer to Garth Brooks, "The Beaches of Cheyenne"".

"While Intel generates approximately three quarters of its revenues overseas, it maintains three quarters of its microprocessor manufacturing in the US." - is this part true? I didn't know that they made this many of their CPU's in North America. I honestly was going to guess that more over-seas manufacturing was being done than state-side.
It is. Intel also built a facility on this scope in China a couple of years back. In view of the potential cash flow from a factory such as this, a thousand jobs is not terribly many.

There's this, straight from the horse's mouth, as it were; http://www.intel.com/community/china/index.htm

The Chinese (as well as Costa Rican, Vietnamese, Philippino and Malaysian) are largely concerned with testing and assembly (heatspeader attachment, BGA solder etc.)
Most of Intels' fabs (and all those dealing with immersion lithography) are based in either the U.S. (Santa Clara-California, Colorado Springs-Colorado, Rio Rancho-New Mexico, Hudson- Mass., Hillsboro-Oregon, Chandler-Arizona), Ireland (at Leixlip) and Israel (at Qiryat Gat and Jerusalem).
Since Intel's ONLY business is the manufacture of IC's, most of its workforce are likely employed (in no particular order) R&D, distribution, legal and PR. It's retail products (motherboards, heatsinks, CPU coolers etc.) are- I think- all built/assembled by Hon Hai (Foxconn).
A little more information on the story here

9Nails said:
"While Intel generates approximately three quarters of its revenues overseas, it maintains three quarters of its microprocessor manufacturing in the US." - is this part true?

I'd have assumed the opposite too. Good for Intel! That's not a trivial number of jobs or a trivial amount of revenue.

A bigger mind-twister for me is the "revenues overseas" part. Isn't the U.S. still, for the time being, the biggest consumer market? If so, the overseas sales feed manufacturing outsourced from the U.S. to, mostly, Asia during the huge reduction of U.S. manufacturing jobs over the past, what, 10 or 15 years or so. The final products imported by the U.S. result in a huge net outflow of dollars. Not trying to blame Intel for that - Intel is clearly not part of the problem - but I honestly don't know how to look at those overseas processor sales. In the immediate sense they bring a net positive revenue flow to the U.S. In a more "big picture" view, those sales ultimately supply chips for the products that create a huge U.S. trade imbalance. Again - not Intel's doing, but... hmm...

Anyway, it probably won't confuse me for much longer, what with the U.S. middle class shrinking as fast as it has been. Poor people make terrible consumers.

The Chinese (as well as Costa Rican, Vietnamese, Philippino and Malaysian) are largely concerned with testing and assembly (heatspeader attachment, BGA solder etc.)
Most of Intels' fabs (and all those dealing with immersion lithography) are based in either the U.S. (Santa Clara-California, Colorado Springs-Colorado, Rio Rancho-New Mexico, Hudson- Mass., Hillsboro-Oregon, Chandler-Arizona), Ireland (at Leixlip) and Israel (at Qiryat Gat and Jerusalem).
Since Intel's ONLY business is the manufacture of IC's, most of its workforce are likely employed (in no particular order) R&D, distribution, legal and PR. It's retail products (motherboards, heatsinks, CPU coolers etc.) are- I think- all built/assembled by Hon Hai (Foxconn).
A little more information on the story here
All this does beg the question, "does Intel really ship CPUs around the world to have the heat spreaders installed"?
Although, there's this; http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...o-use-65nm-process-produce-notebook-chips.ars

or this; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/intel_china_chip_plant/

As I said earlier, automation will render jobs created, vs. gross profit extracted in a harsh light, even with the use of US labor. Just look at the ratio between temp construction labor, and permanent positions created.

With all my cynicism aside, it is a step in the right direction. I'm fairly sick of politicians and economists claiming they've created jobs in service and educational sectors, which by their nature, only leech money out of the system, as there's no commodity produced.

If we had the manufacturing potential and dependencies that we do now in 1940, there wouldn't be a Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, or the US, mustaches would be all the rage, and we'd be goose stepping to the super market. Thank God Adolf ran out of ball bearings.

All this does beg the question, "does Intel really ship CPUs around the world to have the heat spreaders installed"?
Although, there's this; http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...o-use-65nm-process-produce-notebook-chips.ars
or this; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/intel_china_chip_plant/
True enough. But you'll notice that the articles you linked to reference 65nm and 90nm processes. Either older fabs playing out the string, or just as likely, they (Intel) shipped old manufacturing from the mothballed Oregon plant. At 65 and 90nm I think production is going to be for the domestic Chinese market.
Just as clarification, I did take this into account when I made my first post...
Most of Intels' fabs (and all those dealing with immersion lithography) are based in...
Intel's began using immersion lithography with the 32nm process. All prior (45, 65, 90, 130nm etc.) use dry lithography - a much cheaper (and obsolete) process.
...mustaches would be all the rage, and we'd be goose stepping to the super market.
Just as well the economic balance of power was far removed from today...I'd hate to have to answer to butch San Francisco natives!
Instead we have this...

Picture if You Will.......

If we had the manufacturing potential and dependencies that we do now in 1940, there wouldn't be a Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, or the US, mustaches would be all the rage, and we'd be goose stepping to the super market. Thank God Adolf ran out of ball bearings.
Just as well the economic balance of power was far removed from today...I'd hate to have to answer to butch San Francisco natives!
Instead we have this...
As a fashion statement, the mustache comes and goes. At present, it can be an indicator of sexual orientation. Men well over 50 sporting one, are likely to be straight, as it is a vestige of hip era chic. Men well under 50 well, are likely not.

That being so, for the time being at least, our military policy of, "don't ask, don't tell", has been suspended, and gays may serve openly. I wonder what the ramifications of merging a good old fashioned, San Francisco "Gay Pride Parade" ; http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...cisco&btnG=Search&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=, with the likes of this; http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...oskow&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= would be? (If you can, try and picture that, in black patent leather and spandex. That being said, Moskow is quite a bit colder than San Fran, so maybe a "splash" of faux fur should be added to provide warmth, while at the same bringing, "haute couture", or perhaps "naughty couture", to the much more frigid climate).

Myself, I'm thinking that an effigy of the Sidewinder Missile will replace the mechanical bull carcass in gay bars throughout the land, mustaches will return to style, and the "Village People" will take on a character who just happens to look like Mr. Schicklgruber. ("Picture if you will", a smiley sporting a Hitler mustache >>>>HERE<<<)

So then, this would usher in a new era of being proudly and openly gay, with a almost unimaginable cast of characters lined up around the block, waiting to ride on, and be thrown from, one of the world's premier phallic symbols.

Topical discussion begins here: As to Intel's fabs in China, yeah, yeah, yeah, you win.

Disclaimer; Please be advised, that the foregoing post was offered as humor, based on observation of human behaviour. This post in its entirety, was totally apolitical and unbiased.

Then, (more or less along the same lines), there's this;http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...uilty-to-murders/story-e6frg6n6-1225940930996

Disclaimer; Please be advised, that the foregoing post was offered as humor, based on observation of human behaviour. This post in its entirety, was totally apolitical and unbiased.
A sad state of affairs when a post that is obviously satirical needs a disclaimer to thwart vehement argument from the mouth breathers.

Those Canucks got a way with fashion, eh !

Back