TechSpot

Intel launches 10-core Xeon E7 server processors

By Matthew
Apr 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has introduced 29 new server processors to its E3 and E7 Xeon families today. The former serves entry-level customers while the latter represents Intel's most powerful server offering, supposedly setting 14 benchmark records and surpassing its Itanium chips.

Read the whole story

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

When are they going to come out with a ten core consumer grade processor? I would assume there will be one in the next year or two. It will probably feature an $1000-$1500 price tag, but still it would be cool. The clock speed is not very impressive for the price tag though. I suppose its always like this though when more cores are added. Its a shame that xenon's are not put in laptops. They are great at working for long periods of time and don't ever seem to overheat.

3. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Just wanted to point out: 2.6 billion transistors; that's just about the amount of transistors the power of a human brain equals to!** Could it be that sole computer systems (like one single server-processor) are beginning to match our phenomenal minds? Not trying to be overly dramatic or anything.

(**Could also be that I'm getting this long-scale to short-scale conversion wrong, pardon me if that's the case)

No seriously, Intel has been making some great progress regarding server-based hardware lately and itself awakens questions regarding the stance AMD has taken regarding Intel's "march."

With AMD being simply enormous in the server-market with its Opteron multicore-solutions, one cannot avoid to wonder whether AMD will respond to this newer line of server-CPU's with fire... or with flames.

4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

omg i want one

5. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

So, how does it run Crysis? (if crysis could use 10 cores)

6. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TS Enthusiast Posts: 130   +7

Lol BlindObject nice one XD

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,910   +716

Sarcasm right?

AMD's market share of server class is somewhere in the order of 6.5% to 7%....to Intel's 93 - 93.5%.

Crysis would need to run on 20, 40 or 80 cores since the 10-Core Xeons are used in 2P, 4P and 8P (and up) LGA1567 boards.

Always something vaguely sad about people who use meme's that are years past their "use by" date. If you need to remain years behind the curve I'd suggest checking out Encyclopedia Dramatica's Old Meme page for further material.

8. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

cant wait till the come in the blades!

9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Can it run Pong?

10. dividebyzero

Mmmm...here's your answer

11. gwailo247

That was funny. In 2009.

12. dividebyzero

I thought one outdated trope deserved another.

Mission accomplished.

13. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Two words: Envy - Desire :'(
    Cant wait to see how many Marks this baby can pull since the predecessor pulls 12k at a base price of 1,300dlls, now making simple math of prices it give us 48k marks? (lol) but not likely :p

14. gwailo247

Yes, once again your antipodean wit has bested me. You got a hearty ЛOЛ from my all my Geocities buddies.

15. no thanks, intel. i played crysis 2 with amd x2 and ati 4350.:)

16. dividebyzero

WHAT! No FAIL.gif...son, I am disappoint (and so is Paula Deen, Chuck Norris, Hitler and Pedobear)

17. gwailo247

Actually I was glad this wasn't your typical 'quantity has a quality of its own' post, replete with 10 URLs, and a copy of a supporting dissertation from the St. Petersburg State University regarding the relationship between time elapsed and lulz enjoyed.

18. dividebyzero

Cyrillic alphabet and St.Peterburg in consecutive posts...Russian fetishist?

I tried keeping my posting down to single simple sentances with no corroborating information, but found I enjoyed not having to enter discourse with complete m0rons whose attention spans were limited to 140 characters or less.

I must admit that reading poorly constructed arguments presenting personal bias and opinion as fact in a grammatically substandard way does have a certain naive charm, but I firmly believe everyone should play to their own particular strengths.

19. gwailo247

Nah, I was just seeing how long it would take for your Russian inferiority complex to kick in.

Mission accomplished.

20. dividebyzero

Making up imaginary arguments now?

You probably need to acquaint yourself with some knowledge of the country known as New Zealand, since geography and demographics sure aren't your strong suit....You are aware that other countries have distinct characteristics right? not just a generic "Not the USA" that you were probably taught in summer school.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.