Intel launches 10-core Xeon E7 server processors

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel has introduced 29 new server processors to its E3 and E7 Xeon families today. The former serves entry-level customers while the latter represents Intel's most powerful server offering, supposedly setting 14 benchmark records and surpassing its Itanium chips.

Based on Intel's 32nm Westmere-EX architecture, Intel claims the E7 series offers a 40% performance improvement over last year's Westmere-EP-based Xeon chips. That makes sense when you consider the Westmere-EP models came with a maximum of six cores.

Intel Xeon E7 die (measures 513mm2 with 2.6 billion transistors)

The E7 range alone is comprised of 18 products, allowing Intel to meet a wide variety of demands. More than half feature a 10-core, 12-thread, 130W design while the others scale down to eight and six cores with a 105W TDP. One six-core model lowers the TPD to 95W.

The flagship Xeon E7-8870 is priced at $4,616 (in quantities of 1,000) and is outfitted with no less than 10 processing cores, can handle up to 20 threads, operates at 2.4GHz, supports Turbo Boost and HyperThreading, carries 30MB of cache and has a 130W TDP.

The new E3 line is equally diverse. All 11 chips have four cores with support for TurboBoost and HyperThreading. Most operate higher than 3GHz with the top unit peaking at 3.5GHz and TDPs range from 20W to 95W. View a full list of chips and prices here (PDF).

All of the processors come with a couple of new security features. Intel's Advanced Encryption Standard New Instruction (AES-NI) allows systems to quickly encrypt and decrypt data, while Intel's Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) protects applications from malware.

The Xeon E3 and E7 are already shipping via 19 system builders including Bull, Cisco, Cray, Dell, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Lenovo, NEC and Oracle. Configurations range from dual-socket servers to "mission-critical" supercomputers powered by as many as 256 chips.

Permalink to story.

When are they going to come out with a ten core consumer grade processor? I would assume there will be one in the next year or two. It will probably feature an $1000-$1500 price tag, but still it would be cool. The clock speed is not very impressive for the price tag though. I suppose its always like this though when more cores are added. Its a shame that xenon's are not put in laptops. They are great at working for long periods of time and don't ever seem to overheat.

Just wanted to point out: 2.6 billion transistors; that's just about the amount of transistors the power of a human brain equals to!** Could it be that sole computer systems (like one single server-processor) are beginning to match our phenomenal minds? Not trying to be overly dramatic or anything.

(**Could also be that I'm getting this long-scale to short-scale conversion wrong, pardon me if that's the case)

No seriously, Intel has been making some great progress regarding server-based hardware lately and itself awakens questions regarding the stance AMD has taken regarding Intel's "march."

With AMD being simply enormous in the server-market with its Opteron multicore-solutions, one cannot avoid to wonder whether AMD will respond to this newer line of server-CPU's with fire... or with flames.

With AMD being simply enormous in the server-market with its Opteron multicore-solutions

Sarcasm right?

AMD's market share of server class is somewhere in the order of 6.5% to 7%....to Intel's 93 - 93.5%.

So, how does it run Crysis? (if crysis could use 10 cores)
Crysis would need to run on 20, 40 or 80 cores since the 10-Core Xeons are used in 2P, 4P and 8P (and up) LGA1567 boards.

Always something vaguely sad about people who use meme's that are years past their "use by" date. If you need to remain years behind the curve I'd suggest checking out Encyclopedia Dramatica's Old Meme page for further material.

Two words: Envy - Desire :'(
Cant wait to see how many Marks this baby can pull since the predecessor pulls 12k at a base price of 1,300dlls, now making simple math of prices it give us 48k marks? (lol) but not likely :p

WHAT! No FAIL.gif...son, I am disappoint (and so is Paula Deen, Chuck Norris, Hitler and Pedobear)

Actually I was glad this wasn't your typical 'quantity has a quality of its own' post, replete with 10 URLs, and a copy of a supporting dissertation from the St. Petersburg State University regarding the relationship between time elapsed and lulz enjoyed.

Cyrillic alphabet and St.Peterburg in consecutive posts...Russian fetishist?

I tried keeping my posting down to single simple sentances with no corroborating information, but found I enjoyed not having to enter discourse with complete m0rons whose attention spans were limited to 140 characters or less.

I must admit that reading poorly constructed arguments presenting personal bias and opinion as fact in a grammatically substandard way does have a certain naive charm, but I firmly believe everyone should play to their own particular strengths.

Cyrillic alphabet and St.Peterburg in consecutive posts...Russian fetishist?

I tried keeping my posting down to single simple sentances with no corroborating information, but found I enjoyed not having to enter discourse with complete m0rons whose attention spans were limited to 140 characters or less.

I must admit that reading poorly constructed arguments presenting personal bias and opinion as fact in a grammatically substandard way does have a certain naive charm, but I firmly believe everyone should play to their own particular strengths.

Nah, I was just seeing how long it would take for your Russian inferiority complex to kick in.

Mission accomplished.

Making up imaginary arguments now?

You probably need to acquaint yourself with some knowledge of the country known as New Zealand, since geography and demographics sure aren't your strong suit....You are aware that other countries have distinct characteristics right? not just a generic "Not the USA" that you were probably taught in summer school.

Back