Intel launches Core i7 990X Extreme Edition processor

By Jos
Feb 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has launched a new range topping six-core, twelve threads processor today in the form of the Core i7 990X Extreme Edition. Based on the 32nm Westmere silicon, the 990X displaces the existing i7 980X Extreme Edition from its $999 price-point (in 1000-unit bulk quantities) while also offering an unlocked multiplier and bringing slightly higher clock speeds: 3.4GHz base and a maximum of 3.73GHz when Turbo Boost kicks in, up from 3.33GHz and 3.6GHz for the 980X.

Read the whole story
  2. Isn't the last one suppose to be 995X and 3.6 GHZ base clock?
  3. dcrosenthal

dcrosenthal Banned Posts: 25

I wonder how this compares to the sandy bridge 2600k that beat every 4 core processor including the quad-core i7 960. So why pay $300 for the 960 when I can pay $300 for the sandy bridge 2600k (when it gets released again)?
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +229

Wish the 970 was this price when I last upgraded - that is right on the verge of acceptable.
  5. srvijayam

srvijayam Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Wow! It's awesome. Intel Always Rocks...
  6. spikester48661

spikester48661 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 103

who can pay the high $$$ for 6 core from intel ??
  7. The X58 is still the Intel flagship & you'll find even the i7 970 is superior to the i7 2600 on a H67/P67 chipset..
  8. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

I was thinking that AMD was taking a dangerous path by throwing away its names..... but now I remember why no matter what path they take I have to stick to them.

These extremely high prices make think.... ¿Who pays for these for these "extreme" ****!! I seem the same CPU just diferent names!!
  9. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

Sorry the double post but I forgot mention that when a company makes a price cut of $300 !!!! it is because they have inflated the price SOOOO MUCCHH!!!! it even Scare me!!
  10. at the same performance, intel is more expensive than amd. so intel fails for me.
  11. errr... any application that uses 6 cores?
  12. hitech0101

hitech0101 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 423   +19

Way too costly don't think it has chance in a competitive market.
  13. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 340   +20

I do admire Intel price cuts though. an i7-960 for $294? Hot diggity damn. Then again, an i7-2600k is a better option.

14. AlExAkE

AlExAkE Newcomer, in training

I so agree with you!!!
  15. AlExAkE

AlExAkE Newcomer, in training

I believe Maya 2011, Adobe After Effects and Premier Pro. Not sure about Photoshop... (all CS5)
  16. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

Last December, it was the Core i7-950 at $294 level and it was a very good deal considering the performance of the X58 chipset. At least it was until the first week of January when Intel introduced Sandy Bridge by way of 2 K-series processors and then every other Intel processor family became yesterday's news.
  17. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

lightwave, maya, xsi, hudini

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.