Intel launches Core i7 990X Extreme Edition processor

Jos

Staff

Intel has launched a new range topping six-core, twelve threads processor today in the form of the Core i7 990X Extreme Edition. Based on the 32nm Westmere silicon, the 990X displaces the existing i7 980X Extreme Edition from its $999 price-point (in 1000-unit bulk quantities) while also offering an unlocked multiplier and bringing slightly higher clock speeds: 3.4GHz base and a maximum of 3.73GHz when Turbo Boost kicks in, up from 3.33GHz and 3.6GHz for the 980X.

Like its hexacore siblings the 990X comes with 12MB of L3 cache, sports a 130W TDP, and requires a socket LGA1366 motherboard. This is expected to be Intel's last chip in its codenamed Gulftown range, which will be replaced by the Sandy Bridge 'E' platform (codenamed Patsburg), and will use the new LGA2011 socket when it's released in late 2011.

PC enthusiasts not interested in the bragging rights that come with Intel's top of the line processor might be happy to know that the non-Extreme Edition Core i7 970 has received a welcome price cut to a more palatable $583, down from its previous $880, making it Intel's cheapest six-core processor to date. And last but not least, the quad-core i7 960, which is clocked at 3.20GHz, has gone down from $562 to $294.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how this compares to the sandy bridge 2600k that beat every 4 core processor including the quad-core i7 960. So why pay $300 for the 960 when I can pay $300 for the sandy bridge 2600k (when it gets released again)?

Wish the 970 was this price when I last upgraded - that is right on the verge of acceptable.

The X58 is still the Intel flagship & you'll find even the i7 970 is superior to the i7 2600 on a H67/P67 chipset..

spikester48661 said:
who can pay the high $$$ for 6 core from intel ??

I was thinking that AMD was taking a dangerous path by throwing away its names..... but now I remember why no matter what path they take I have to stick to them.

These extremely high prices make think.... ¿Who pays for these for these "extreme" ****!! I seem the same CPU just diferent names!!

edison5do said:
spikester48661 said:
who can pay the high $$$ for 6 core from intel ??

I was thinking that AMD was taking a dangerous path by throwing away its names..... but now I remember why no matter what path they take I have to stick to them.

These extremely high prices make think.... ¿Who pays for these for these "extreme" ****!! I seem the same CPU just diferent names!!

Sorry the double post but I forgot mention that when a company makes a price cut of $300 !!!! it is because they have inflated the price SOOOO MUCCHH!!!! it even Scare me!!

at the same performance, intel is more expensive than amd. so intel fails for me.

I do admire Intel price cuts though. an i7-960 for $294? Hot diggity damn. Then again, an i7-2600k is a better option.

Last December, it was the Core i7-950 at $294 level and it was a very good deal considering the performance of the X58 chipset. At least it was until the first week of January when Intel introduced Sandy Bridge by way of 2 K-series processors and then every other Intel processor family became yesterday's news.

Back