TechSpot

Intel launches Devil's Canyon, Pentium Anniversary enthusiast CPUs

By Scorpus
Jun 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. At Computex 2014, Intel has officially launched and detailed their Devil's Canyon and Pentium Anniversary Edition processors which it first announced back in March. Focused on enthusiast PC builders, all three new Haswell-based CPUs have fully unlocked multipliers and are...

Read more

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,368   +125

I bet delidding still helps.

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,368   +467 Staff Member

Trying to get samples from Intel but the marketing company that handles Intel’s affairs says there won’t be a review program for these new CPUs :S

JC713 likes this.
  4. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 610   +74 Staff Member

I'll talk to some Intel guys at Computex about a review ;)

JC713, hahahanoobs and Steve like this.
  5. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,368   +467 Staff Member

I like that :)

JC713 and hahahanoobs like this.
  6. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Enthusiast Posts: 151   +32

Honestly the new TIM is the only exciting part. I never liked the idea of delidding my CPU with a brick and vice.

7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,168   +243

4Ghz... on all four cores" I am sorry but when did 4Ghz seem like a big enough deal to put it in large text.... 4Ghz is nothing these days its the norm what would be nice is either 5Ghz or a 4930K equlivent with 8Cores 16Threads

8. I am running Skyrim (with lots of mods) using about 60% of an i5 4670K (not over clocked). If I get one of these new processors, Skyrim will probably use about 50% of it.

havok585 likes this.
  9. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +40

Yes...but can it run Crysis??
    someone had to say it! ;)

10. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 299   +36

I don't see anything exciting or worth mentioning here. The 4790k looks like a factory overclocked version of the 4770k.

11. Yes, they now need 8-core running a 5GHz. 8-core needs to be the new quad-core. Then we need to be looking a 16-core next year. This is unless they start adding a lot more on the Compute Unit side of things.

12. You might get one, if you are looking to splash out a few thousand $ on a new PC, with 2 x high-end graphics cards, 4K monitor, 4 x SSD etc.

13. fredderf81

fredderf81 TS Rookie Posts: 26   +19

I had been all excited for this until I saw: http://ark.intel.com/compare/80807,63698

I feel as if I would actually be downgrading my chip. the new MB features would be cool and I would be getting pcie 3.0 instead of 2.0 but really 2.0 is quite fast enough for more than most will need.

*sigh* intel.

14. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,221   +528

I really have alot of interest in these chips but I can't help but feel this is what Haswell should have been more than anything. The chip I think is cool is the Pentium anniversary, I may just pick one of these bad boys up and a decent motherboard to see how far I can push it.

15. Tokido

Tokido TS Rookie Posts: 17

Can't wait to get my hands on a 4790k, Asus Maximus 7 Formula and an Ares 3 and put them all under a open loop. My wallet will be empty soon.

16. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 330   +49

I really want that pentium anniversary chip, start saving the pennies now I guess.

17. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,975   +908

HOAH for Scorpus! HOAH for Steve! Go TechSpot!

18. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,975   +908

I really dont understand why Intel is putting Intel graphics into the 4790K... I can guarantee that 99% of people who buy this chip wont use integrated graphics...

19. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 626   +83

I must be one of those 1% you mention. I have a 4670K in my current build and don't yet have a graphics card. However it is my intention to purchase a graphics card when I can persuade the little woman we can afford it.

20. "DDR3-1600 memory support" this had better be the slowest ram speed it supports.......ddr3 1600 is pretty damn slow .........

21. tell her if she can afford to put makeup on and getting 40 dollar haircuts you can afford whatever you want with your money

22. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,440   +220

Good idea. That'll work.

23. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 626   +83

I see that you are a cautious person as you are posting as guest! Surely you know that hair cuts and makeup are necessary expenses and that women die if they buy cheap products. I speak as a person who spends less on hair cuts in a year that my wife spends in a single visit to the hairdressers.

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,727   +888

If this were three years ago, I'd agree with you.

25. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 299   +36

Holy hell. I guess I'm waiting a few generations (or until DDR4 comes out) to even think about thinking about buying a new processor.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.