Intel Medfield phone beats iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus in benchmarks

Jos

Staff

At this year's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Intel shared some details on three different Atom chips destined for handsets along with a first look at the upcoming Orange 'Santa Clara' smartphone. First impressions suggested the Atom-based phone would offer performance at least on par with today's top contenders, and now some early benchmarks by German site Caschys seem to back up that notion.

The site ran Qualcomm's Vellamo benchmark app and the browser-based BrowserMark on the device. The results were outstanding considering the phone isn't out yet and may receive further tweaks ahead of launch.

In BrowserMark, which tests the phone’s ability to render Javascript and HTML, the Orange Santa Clara posted a score of 89,180, narrowly besting Apple's iPhone 4S score of 87,801 with its proprietary ARM-based dual-core A5 processor. Samsung' Galaxy Nexus held the crown, however, scoring 98,272 points.

intel medfield phone beats iphone galaxy nexus benchmarks

The second benchmark is designed to test eleven separate areas of a phone's performance and compiles everything into a single score. Here the Intel-based Santa Clara was able to outpace both the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S, along with a few other smartphones and tablets, while only trailing behind the quad-core Tegra 3-powered Asus Transformer Prime and dual-core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon Xiaomi MI-One Plus.

Of course, while encouraging, bechmarks only tell part of the story. It remains to be seen how snappy the phone feels in real-world scenarios and if it will be able to match up to the competition in terms of battery life -- a critical area where ARM has already proven its worth.

The Santa Clara is powered by single-core Atom processor with HyperThreading support and clocked at 1.4GHz. It has a 4.03-inch, 1024 x 600 display, along with an 8MP camera capable of shooting 1080p video and 10 photos per second in a burst mode. Disappointingly, it will be running Android 2.3 when the phone arrives this summer in France and the UK, but Orange says that an update to 4.0 ICS is coming.

Permalink to story.

So why are so many companies releasing (new) devices based on an older
os 2.3 with promises of an ics 4.0 update on the way. This device is still in development. Is there a problem with 4.0 in general that is causing companys to do this? I would love to understand why this is happening. Thoughts?

rvnwlfdroid said:
So why are so many companies releasing (new) devices based on an older
os 2.3 with promises of an ics 4.0 update on the way.

With Tablets, it's easier to select ICS for the OS, less restrictions. With cellular phones, there is a lengthy process for the carriers to certify or re-certify the operating system and hardware before approving it for use on their airwaves.

Well at least this finally puts to rest all the myths that x86 architecture can't stand up to ARM based SoCs, seeing this I would say in 2-3 years time, many vendors making ARM architecture SoCs will be facing stiff competition to stay relevant.

Ultraman1966 said:
If those benchmarks are real then kudos to Intel BUT what is the power consumption like in comparison?

I believe Anandtech had an article showing what the battery life of these processors was like. They seemed to scale VERY well.

That is pretty good for a single core device at 1.4Ghz... I too wonder what the battery life is like. My experience with 4S is a day and some change depending on how much connection you make to GPS, 3G and Voice.

Since it's Intel a Full x86 Linux or Windows XP could theoretically run on it if rooted I would think.

The x86 version of Android would have way less apps then the ARM version but an x86 based phone runing Linux could be used with Java based sites unlike any ARM based phone.

Back