TechSpot

Intel, Micron announce 20nm 8GB NAND flash chips

By Matthew
Apr 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. It feels like just yesterday that Intel and Micron unveiled the industry's first 25nm NAND flash memory chip, but it's actually been more than a year. Needless to say, the companies have been toiling away at the next advancement and they've just announced the fruits of their labor: a 20nm 8GB (64Gb) MLC NAND Flash memory chip. Moving from 25nm to 20nm will allow device-makers to squeeze more storage in less space, an increasingly relevant prospect for the booming smartphone and tablet market.

Read the whole story

2. Mmmm i hope this means lower prices!! :)
    with a much lower price point, I will be getting one.

3. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Smaller and faster but the important question remains - Will the prices of SSDs ever go down to level of HDDs ?

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

I do not think that SSD drives will hit the price per gigabyte that harddrives has for the foreseeable future (Not before year 2020 would be my guess)

The reason is that magnetic media is simply such a prooven tech and it is still being developed at a steady pace and still coming down in price, after being used for what, 50 years?

SSD's are inherently expensive, they require wafers for the transistors and a 300mm wafer simply does not come cheap.
    They also require complex controllers requiring many man hours to program and then when they are sold still require more development costs for firmware updates to fix bugs etc.

Plus some things are simply suited better for normal harddrives. Which do not get "worn" by writing data.
    SSD's have a finite lifetime with current drives offering between 3000>5000 rewrites per transistor before it looses it's charge.
    Google prooved in their report on HDD reliability that this is not the case with mechanical harddrives: http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

5. When they hit £0.80 per gig ill will buy one instantly, until then not a chance.

120gig for £99.99 and im there.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.