Intel, Micron announce 25nm NAND flash breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

Intel and Micron are announcing today that its joint venture company, IM Flash Technologies, is ready to sample the first 25nm NAND-based flash memory technology. In fewer words, that is the smallest semi-conductor process in the world.

The story broke earlier than anticipated during the weekend but the fact remains unchanged, flash memory using this new 25nm technology has roughly twice the density of a 34nm part at the same size. Manufacturers can take advantage of this reducing chip count by half, putting together a 256GB SSD with 32 chips instead of 64.

IMFT 25nm process NAND flash die

If you ever wondered why solid-state storage pricing dropped so dramatically over the last couple of years, NAND flash's lower density is the answer. IMFT was formed back in 2006 when they began sampling memory using a 72nm process. By 2008 they had moved to 40nm which is what the original Intel X25-M SSD utilized, and most recently 34nm in the second generation drives.

The first ever 25nm product is a 8GB die using 2-bits per cell MLC NAND flash (see the photo above) measuring a mere 167 sq. millimeters, or in more practical terms small enough to fit through the central hole of a CD while having 10+ times the data capacity. Intel expects consumer products based on 25nm NAND flash technology to become available before the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

its funny that the processing power is continuing on with its own momentum but the codes that dictate the process are still as ancient as it first originated...

What happens when they start approaching 0 NM? It can only get smaller for so long..

Someday I want to fully appreciate just how small 25 nm really is! I mean I can read about it being on a scale of 1 mile, just the first 20 inches. Or I would need 3000 of these stacked up to be as thick as one strand of human hair. But I wouldn't get just how small this is until I hold one or see it made under the microscope.

And the talk about putting solid dtate memory directly on to motherboards bypassing SATA buses and really speeding up "disk" access sounds crazy cool. I can't wait to see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back