TechSpot

Intel, others license SLI technology for P55-based motherboards

By Matthew
Aug 10, 2009
  1. Nvidia has announced that several top manufacturers have licensed SLI technology for use on their Intel P55 chipset-packing motherboards. The boards are designed for the upcoming LGA 1156-based Intel Core i5 and i7 CPUs codenamed \"Lynnfield.\" Among the companies are Asus, EVGA, Intel, Gigabyte, and MSI. As such, those who buy a P55-based motherboard and a new Core i5 or i7 CPU will be able to furnish their PC with any combination of Nvidia GeForce video cards - including Quad SLI.

Read the whole story

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

Is CrossfireX also supported? Awesome news if it is.

I hope these go the way of the P45 and P35 chipsets.

3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,245   +92

I haven't seen anything as official as this announcement but I'm pretty sure Asus, ECS and EVGA (probably others) have shown P55 boards with CrossfireX support.

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

CrossfireX and SLI support on the same board like the X58s? That'd be great! Thanks! :D

5. Great news although I don't see immediate advantage since P55 has only 16 PCIe lanes.
    Thus in SLI you can have no more than 2x8 lanes, which I guess it is not goed enough for higher end cards...

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

That is PCI-E 2.0, which means two PCI-E 2.0 x8 slots have the same bandwidth as two PCI-E 1.1 x16 slots.

The x16 SLI is a marketing ploy from the nForce4 days; there is no noticeable difference from using it over x8 SLI, since there is no card I know of that can completely saturate the PCI-E 1.1 x16 bus, let alone PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.