TechSpot

Intel, others license SLI technology for P55-based motherboards

By Matthew
Aug 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nvidia has announced that several top manufacturers have licensed SLI technology for use on their Intel P55 chipset-packing motherboards. The boards are designed for the upcoming LGA 1156-based Intel Core i5 and i7 CPUs codenamed \"Lynnfield.\" Among the companies are Asus, EVGA, Intel, Gigabyte, and MSI. As such, those who buy a P55-based motherboard and a new Core i5 or i7 CPU will be able to furnish their PC with any combination of Nvidia GeForce video cards - including Quad SLI.

Read the whole story
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Is CrossfireX also supported? Awesome news if it is.

I hope these go the way of the P45 and P35 chipsets.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,060   +84 Staff Member

I haven't seen anything as official as this announcement but I'm pretty sure Asus, ECS and EVGA (probably others) have shown P55 boards with CrossfireX support.
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

CrossfireX and SLI support on the same board like the X58s? That'd be great! Thanks! :D
  5. Great news although I don't see immediate advantage since P55 has only 16 PCIe lanes.
    Thus in SLI you can have no more than 2x8 lanes, which I guess it is not goed enough for higher end cards...
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

That is PCI-E 2.0, which means two PCI-E 2.0 x8 slots have the same bandwidth as two PCI-E 1.1 x16 slots.

The x16 SLI is a marketing ploy from the nForce4 days; there is no noticeable difference from using it over x8 SLI, since there is no card I know of that can completely saturate the PCI-E 1.1 x16 bus, let alone PCI-E 2.0 x16.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.