TechSpot

Intel Pentium D versus Core 2 duo

By Z@X
Sep 19, 2006
  1. After looking at new processors, i basically have 2 choices:pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo. I like to run multiple applications at once but also need raw processing power for 3d games.I don't want to spend more than 300$ so which processor is best for me?

2. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

Hands down, the core 2 duo. It lays waste to the P4 D's.

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

The Core 2 Duo absolutely kills the Pentium D.

4. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

These fellows speak the absolute truth. The Core 2 is without a doubt the current top performer, followed up by the FX and the X2, then the Athlon64. The P4 D ranks a distant 5th in terms of performance of high end chips in the market currently.

Moreover, a P4 D can be found for extremely cheap - I've seen the 830 for $150 sometimes, on sale.

I am currently using a P4 D 830 as my work station, and an X2 3800+ as my game station. The X2 absolutely dominates the 830, no contest. I'm replacing the P4 D with a Core 2 once I find someone to buy the older workstation off me.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

Aren't Pentium 4 and Pentium D different processors? Then why do u call it the P4 D Soul Harvester?
    And he seems confused about it too, coz the thread says Pentium D and he's talking about a P4. WTF???

6. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

No. Pentium 4 is a single-core processor, regardless of core.

Pentium 4 D is any dual-core variant, meaning any CPU of the 8xx or 9xx series.

They are not the same.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.