1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Prescott reviewed

By Julio Franco ยท 4 replies
Feb 2, 2004
  1. After delays and much waiting Intel's first 90nm processor is here. The biggest news, though, is the new processor core, code-named Prescott. Prescott isn't just a die shrink, though it is that. Prescott is also a major reworking of the Pentium 4's microarchitecture--major enough that I'm surprised Intel didn't opt to call this processor the Pentium 5.

You can read reviews from: Anandtech, Tech-Report, Hot Hardware, Hexus, PC Stats, Hardocp.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I think the lack of big "tangible" improvement this early in its evolution explains why they kept the P4 name.

& at the same time it might explain the general disinterest in this CPU ( allthough they are pretty cheap ).

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 7,233   +733

Same as when the Pentium 4 was introduced... in the long term the improvements will become more obvious performance-wise and at the same time Intel is securing they will be able to grow using the same technology for a period of time.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Well that remains to be seen, but it is still obvious that they did not put as much promotion on this as they did for the initial P4 ( willamette ).

I mean when it came out, you saw blue guys everywhere, trying to make you think the P4 would make the net go faster instantly turning your 56K into a DSL modem & such ( yes Intel, sure :rolleyes: ).

I think they're trying to keep the yahmill technology incognito for now. I guess it's hard to have to resort to using a competitor's technology especially when they have far less invested in R&D then you.

& did anyone say LaGrande ? *cough*Palladium*cough*

I'm very curious as to what will be show at the next IDF.

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 7,233   +733

Prescott was hyped a lot by the media (including us, if you want) since initial plans were for it to become the "Pentium 5" or whatever you want to call it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.